Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remove os on 2nd hard drive

• Please log in to reply

wobumang

wobumang

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i installed a second drive to boot the os and programs with, but now need to delete the os from the original drive. here is the boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

is it just the boot.ini edit, then delete the windows file on the offending drive? also is there a guide to running os and programs on a separate drive from data?

thank you
wobumang

Advertisements

wobumang

wobumang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
bueller, bueller, bueller...

krysdem

krysdem

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi wobumang,

If you choose one or the other of the two XP options, do both work and boot up ?
Which is the one that boots your computer into the operating system that you want to use ?
The first XP or the second XP ?

Krystyna

wobumang

wobumang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi wobumang,

If you choose one or the other of the two XP options, do both work and boot up ?
Which is the one that boots your computer into the operating system that you want to use ?
The first XP or the second XP ?

Krystyna

Krystyna,

drive c was primary. i added d, which is now primary. both are bootable. would like to boot d with programs on d and data on c. do i delete just the windows file, at root of c drive, to get rid of the unwanted install or are there other files like $WIN_NT$.~BT?

thank you,
wobumang

krysdem

krysdem

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Do you have a boot.ini file on both hard drives ?

wobumang

wobumang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Do you have a boot.ini file on both hard drives ?

yes

krysdem

krysdem

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
This is where it gets tricky !
You must be absolutely sure which drive you are booting from, and which boot.ini is being used.
Delete the wrong line, and you won't be able to boot into anything !

While the computer is booting, which XP is chosen to boot ?
Is it the first Microsoft Windows XP Professional or the second Microsoft Windows XP Professional ?

Or don't you have the info from boot.ini displayed on the screen ??

wobumang

wobumang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is where it gets tricky !
You must be absolutely sure which drive you are booting from, and which boot.ini is being used.
Delete the wrong line, and you won't be able to boot into anything !

While the computer is booting, which XP is chosen to boot ?
Is it the first Microsoft Windows XP Professional or the second Microsoft Windows XP Professional ?

Or don't you have the info from boot.ini displayed on the screen ??

no boot.ini displayed, just the instance of xp pro. the topmost of the two from that menu is the primary and the one from which i want to boot. i know which boot.ini i want to delete, just the other stuff i dont know, ie. the windows files to delete.

krysdem

krysdem

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay ...

To edit the functioning boot.ini to delete the second XP that you don't want ...

* Boot into the wanted XP

* Open Control Panel > click open System icon

* go to Advanced tab at the top > click on the Settings button of Startup and Recovery section

* at the top of the window that opens, click on Edit (or Modify) which will open the boot.ini file

* carefully delete the last line of the file, so that you are just left with ...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP rofessional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

* Save and exit

Regarding the second hard drive, you are able to delete ALL files in Root directory, and the Windows folder and Program Files folder, and any other folders that are not your own personal data folders.

Good luck !

wobumang

wobumang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Okay ...

To edit the functioning boot.ini to delete the second XP that you don't want ...

* Boot into the wanted XP

* Open Control Panel > click open System icon

* go to Advanced tab at the top > click on the Settings button of Startup and Recovery section

* at the top of the window that opens, click on Edit (or Modify) which will open the boot.ini file

* carefully delete the last line of the file, so that you are just left with ...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP rofessional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

* Save and exit

Regarding the second hard drive, you are able to delete ALL files in Root directory, and the Windows folder and Program Files folder, and any other folders that are not your own personal data folders.

Good luck !

great! thanks again. is there a way to keep the users on the old drive? all i want on the new drive are the os and the programs.

krysdem

krysdem

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Try here ...

http://support.micro...kb/236621/en-us