Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive makes PC crash

• Please log in to reply

muay

muay

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello hope all is well,
My dvd burner has started to make my computer crash, when i go to burn anything to dvd/cd my computer crashers its even started to crash when i put the dvd in the burner.Ive uninstalled any software that was installed just before it started to do this,reinstalled the drive and cleaned inside of computer. I have tried with loads of types of software. Thing is after its crashed a few times it does it fine.Also there was a disc in the drive,I right clicked on the drive selected eject and my computer rebooted itself. But then if i do it with no disc in its fine, Thank you for any help.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120L0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi muay :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Couple of things for you to check out would be the power
supply from the psu and the IDE/SATA connection from the
drive to the MB, are they both undamaged and secure at both
ends.
What is the brand of the drive?
Are you using any burning programmes such as Nero or Pinnacle?
Check out the microsoft link below;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529

muay

muay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for getting back to me,My drive is a DVDRAM GSA-4167B,the IDE/SATA connection looks fine and i dont have any Pinnacle software on computer but i use nero burning rom to burn my cds. Had a look at link(thanks) seems to be about if your computer does not see your drive my does ok.
cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
From what I have read the drive should work ok with the windows drivers
but as you are having this issue I would recommend downloading the correct
drivers and saving them to your desktop/screen, then uninstall the drive
and any associated drivers, then shutdown and reboot, allow the computer
to detect new hardware and then install the correct drivers http://search.warese...167b/driver-os/
I would also uninstall Nero first and then reinstall after you had tested and
had the drive working.
This was the page I was suggesting you look at "What it fixes #7"
http://support.micro..._drive_problems

Edited by phillpower2, 03 August 2010 - 11:08 AM.

muay

muay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for taken the time to help me,I looks like its gone wrong this time the drive did its normal thing crashed when i put disc in but instead of rebooting the whole screen went yellow and now my computer is not seeing the drive at all. Looks like its time for a new one.
Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I would suggest getting your psu tested, as a bad psu can cause many types of issue including yours.
What is the brand, model and power output of your psu?

muay

muay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so ive got the computer showing my dvd drive again. My psu is Allied,model AL-C350ATX, max 350w.
cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I have checked out the specs for your psu here http://www.recycledg...wer-Supply.html
It looks like it would be ok for running a basic setup but not for anything too demanding, what is your MB and do
you have any add on cards such as gfx, sound or network, if the psu is old and had good use it could be coming to its end of life and if it fails completely it could take out your whole system, so I would get it checked by an expert and try and loan a psu to try in your system.

looks like its gone wrong this time the drive did its normal thing crashed when i put disc in but instead of rebooting the whole screen went yellow and now my computer is not seeing the drive at all.

This may be caused by unstable power from your psu, I would not recommend any further testing until you either swap out your psu for a known good one or get yours checked out and given a clean bill of health.
Please read the canned text of Digerati below regarding psu testing;

To properly and conclusively test a power supply unit (PSU), it must be tested under various realistic "loads" then analyzed for excessive ripple and other anomalies. This is done by a qualified technician using an oscilloscope or power analyzer - sophisticated (and expensive) electronic test equipment requiring special training to operate, and a basic knowledge of electronics theory to understand the results. Therefore, conclusively testing a power supply is done in properly equipped electronic repair facilities.

Fortunately, there are other options that are almost as good. I keep a FrozenCPU Ultimate PSU Tester in my tool bag when I am "in the field" and don't have a good spare power supply to swap in. While not a certain test, they are better than nothing. The advantage of this model is that it has an LCD readout of the voltage. With an actual voltage readout, you have a better chance of detecting a "failing" PSU, or one barely within specified ATX Form Factor Standard tolerances. Lesser models use LEDs to indicate the voltage is just within some "range". These are less informative, considerably cheaper, but still useful for detecting PSUs that have already "failed". Newegg has several testers to choose from. All these testers contain a "dummy load" to fool the PSU into thinking it is connected to a motherboard, and therefore allows the PSU to power on, if able, without being attached to a motherboard - great for testing fans, but again, it is not a true load or suitable for conclusive testing.

Swapping in a known good supply is a tried and trued method of troubleshooting, used for years even by pros. If you have access to a suitably sized, spare power supply, carefully remove the suspect supply and replace it with a known good one and see if the problem goes away.

I do not recommend using a multimeter to test power supplies. To do it properly, that is, under a realistic load, the voltages on all the pins must be measured while the PSU is attached to the motherboard and the computer powered on. This requires poking (with some considerable force) two hard and sharp, highly conductive meter probes into the main power connector, deep in the heart of the computer. One tiny slip can destroy the motherboard, and everything plugged into it. It is not worth the risk considering most multimeters, like plug-in testers, do not measure, or reveal any unwanted and potentially disruptive AC components to the DC voltages.

Note the required voltage tolerance ranges:

And remember, anything that plugs into the wall can kill. Do not open the power supply's case unless you are a qualified electronics technician. There are NO user serviceable parts inside a power supply.

Thanks to Digerati for the psu guidance and testing recommendations.

muay

muay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info, think im going to get the psu looked at, Today i upgraded the memory but still the same. My MB is
Asus A7V400-MX SE.