Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound keeps turning off?

• Please log in to reply

xDokii

xDokii

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello Geeks To Go! I have come here in the hope that someone will be able to help solve my problem.

I have some viruses on my computer and I'm waiting for someone to help get it fixed here(Help out please??) and my sound randomly started switching off today. It happened earlier today and I tried to see whether the sound was on mute by going on Volume Control but it gave a message saying:
" There are no active Mixer Devices Available. To install mixer devices go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

This Program will now close"

So i went on Start > Run > services.msc > Windows Audio > General. Under Services Service Status it said the sound was stopped but I hadn't stopped it. So I pressed start again and it started working again. I rebooted my computer after that.

Just now the sound closed by itself again?? I was on firefox and the sound was still on when it suddenly exited on its own and a box came up asking if I would like to restore it and what I was on. That was when the sound stopped. I'm confused and would like some help please?? I just recently installed Online Armor Free (Firewall) and when I was setting it up I didn't know which programmes, auto-runs, etc, to allow so I might have accidently blocked something that caused this??

Edited by xDokii, 03 August 2010 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

DihydrogenMonoxide

DihydrogenMonoxide

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello Geeks To Go! I have come here in the hope that someone will be able to help solve my problem.

I have some viruses on my computer and I'm waiting for someone to help get it fixed here(Help out please??) and my sound randomly started switching off today. It happened earlier today and I tried to see whether the sound was on mute by going on Volume Control but it gave a message saying:
" There are no active Mixer Devices Available. To install mixer devices go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

This Program will now close"

So i went on Start > Run > services.msc > Windows Audio > General. Under Services Service Status it said the sound was stopped but I hadn't stopped it. So I pressed start again and it started working again. I rebooted my computer after that.

Just now the sound closed by itself again?? I was on firefox and the sound was still on when it suddenly exited on its own and a box came up asking if I would like to restore it and what I was on. That was when the sound stopped. I'm confused and would like some help please?? I just recently installed Online Armor Free (Firewall) and when I was setting it up I didn't know which programmes, auto-runs, etc, to allow so I might have accidently blocked something that caused this??

Hi, first of all welcome to GeeksToGo :)

I don't truly know if this will help you, however it helped me when my sound went off and I was given that exact same message as you about installing mixers. I am fairly new to tech things myself but I am actively trying to learn so bare with me.

If this doesn't work however, I cannot advise on malware so it would be best to await help from someone trained to help with malware on your other topic or here.

Restart your computer, and go into BIOS (usually tapping F2 or delete while loading up, or whatever the option is on your OS)

Do you use an onboard audio card or a seperate one?

If onboard, under BIOS, go to your sound settings, and look for the option 'Onboard Audio'.

If that is set to auto, change it to 'Enabled' (on)

Save changes and exit. Now when your computer loads up, your sound should be fixed. If it goes off again when your computer is rebooted, or if you use a seperate audio card to the onboard, then I am sorry for not being able to provide further help, a volunteer should be with you shortly though.

All the best,
Alex

Edited by DihydrogenMonoxide, 04 August 2010 - 04:11 PM.