Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HARD DRIVE FORMAT/REINSTALL XP

• Please log in to reply

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,
Ok, first thanks for taking the time to review and answer this issue. I have a HP dv2000 laptop. The hard drive crashed and burned. I took the hard drive out of another laptop a gateway. When I put it in it booted up and was kinda quirky so I did a full system restore. I got it to boot up but it won't connect to the internet via the ethernet port or wirelessly. When I try to open the wireless manager I get the following message" Intel® PROset/wireless software was unable to detect a supported wireless adapter. Please Install a supported adapter". So I went on HP website and looked for possibly a missing driver and i didn't see one. So now I'm at the point of just wanting to erase the hard drive and start from scratch.

If you don't happen to have a fix for connecting to the internet can you tell me how I format my hard drive without the XP disk? I tried to use the recovery disk but i am getting a message that states something like this "this cd does not compatible with the PC model". I have used these disks on this laptop before and it worked great both times. I am guessing that's because it has all the Gateway software on the hard drive so it will not let me use the HP recovery disk. So I was hoping to start from scratch and it might pick up the disk and recover it. I have looked and looked all over the internet and can't seem to find the answer. I am crossing my fingers hoping that you don't tell me I have to go and get another operating system. Again I appreiate your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Press start then run then type devmgmt.msc
then press <enter>

Or

Right click My Computer then choose Manage then Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !.

http://h10025.www1.h...t=1817074#N5303 this should be the driver page for your laptop (there are actually a lot of dv2000 models) you want to get the Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers under the network section. this will get your wireless card to detect

for the ethernet port you want to get the Intel PRO Network Adapter Driver

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks you I am about to try and go and find all the drivers. I saw all these yellow question markss earlier. Here are the yellow quesion marks. If you have any more input regardding these additional question marks I would love it. I am assuming they are missing drivers but I didn't see any of these on the HP website. Again, the info is very much appreciated. If I get it fixed without having to buy another operating system.

- AUDIO DEVICE ON HIGH DEFINITION AUDO BUS
- BASE SYSSTEM DEVICE (THIS IS LISTED 3 TIMES IN A ROW
- COPROCESSOR
- MODEM DEVICE ON HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO BUS
- NETWORK CONTROLLER
- OTHER PCI BRIDGE DEVICE
- SM BUS CONTROLLER
- UNKNOWN DEVICE
- VIDEO CONTROLLER (VGA COMPATIBLE)

Press start then run then type devmgmt.msc
then press <enter>

Or

Right click My Computer then choose Manage then Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !.

http://h10025.www1.h...t=1817074#N5303 this should be the driver page for your laptop (there are actually a lot of dv2000 models) you want to get the Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers under the network section. this will get your wireless card to detect

for the ethernet port you want to get the Intel PRO Network Adapter Driver

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well, all of the drivers for any device that was originally installed on that model of computer is listed in that list that i linked to.

you just need to press the + next to the section you're looking for (audio is in audio, etc...) and download the driver for the device that you have missing.

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

well, all of the drivers for any device that was originally installed on that model of computer is listed in that list that i linked to.

you just need to press the + next to the section you're looking for (audio is in audio, etc...) and download the driver for the device that you have missing.

Again, I appreciate the info that you have given and it seems to have fixed some of my issues. However, now that the wireless is on it is recognizing the wireless networks in my area but it states that they are secure. I know some of them are secure but I am hopping on one on this computer that I am typing on now and it is not secure. I have rebooted several times but it still says it's a secure network.

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So to end this, it seems as though everything is now properly working and in order. My operating system seems to be functioning quit well and the wireless networks now come up as unsecure after a few updates have been placed. This will be the first place that I send someone for assistance and hope to use this site again in the future. This has saved me much time and much more frustration and I have learned something new that I hope to pass on in the future. Again, thanks for what you do to make our lives a little less stressfull.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible