Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't wipe and reinstall xp

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have a PC running XP Pro SP3 that would boot but not bring the desktop up. After exhausting all know options I tried a repair which failed the a complete wipe and reinstall. I cannot get it to boot to a disk with a wipe program. It just keeps attempting to complete the install. The question I have is this; I have another pc with an open sata port on the motherboard. Can I install the problem drive in the other PC and wipe the drive then go back to the other pc and reinstall the drive and then install from my original xp pro disk? What problems should I anticipate?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem is it will try to load drivers for the system you use to install from.
Have you tried the following to format and install XP on your system?
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.
I would suggest getting rid of the existing partition and starting over from there.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Can I install the problem drive in the other PC and wipe the drive then go back to the other pc and reinstall the drive and then install from my original xp pro disk? What problems should I anticipate?

You can install the drive as a slave drive and then format it to wipe out all partitions and data. Then you can put it back in the original computer, boot from your XP cd and install the OS. You will need to install all drivers relevent to the board in the computer.