Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

** SOLVED** Internet won't work in a browser......

• Please log in to reply

DrBubba

DrBubba

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
A computer of in the network has started behaving very bad. It connects to the network without any problems and get a valid IP-adress from the router. Then I try to start either Firefor or IE, but when I try to surf I just get "Cannot find page". I then open the command window and try a ping frmo the DOS-prompt, no problem. I try a tracerout from the prompt, no problem. Then I try with a FTP-session frmo the DOS-prompt but that one fails to connect. So it looks like the DNS is working at least. Next thing I discovered was that iTunes on the machine could load up and fetch an update from the web and install that. I then tried to update the anti-virus program, but only got "could not connect to server"
OK, maybe I have a virus in the machine. Made a complete scan of the computer with zero viruses found. I can also add that this is the only machine in the network that have this problem, the others works just fine.
So now I am out of ideas, and hope that someone else has some got ideas to try out.

Thanks
DrBubba

Edited by DrBubba, 07 August 2010 - 05:14 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think your problem is here.

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

SRX660

DrBubba

DrBubba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

SRX660

Looks interesting and I will give it a go. Thank you!

DrBubba

DrBubba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

SRX660

Tried it but it didn't fix my problem. The machine will still only ping another server. No http, no ftp, nothing.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Next step is to try some of these. Somewhere software is disabling the browser or a drive-by virus changed your settings.

Try Removing the checks from the Proxy Settings in the IE tools.

Are you running a AV, or more than one AV's, try cleaning it off the computer. Norton's is really bad about this.

try going into "internet options"
then to "Connections" tab
"Lan Settings"
then all you do is unclick the proxy server dialog box, then see if you can connect.

SRX660

DrBubba

DrBubba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Next step is to try some of these. Somewhere software is disabling the browser or a drive-by virus changed your settings.

Try Removing the checks from the Proxy Settings in the IE tools.

Are you running a AV, or more than one AV's, try cleaning it off the computer. Norton's is really bad about this.

try going into "internet options"
then to "Connections" tab
"Lan Settings"
then all you do is unclick the proxy server dialog box, then see if you can connect.

SRX660

I had AVGFree running on the machine but unistalled it. Also I checked but there were no
proxy running on the machine. And after all this....nope, nothing. Still at the same point
as where I started.

Edited by DrBubba, 06 August 2010 - 05:29 AM.

DrBubba

DrBubba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Found something else out today. I can start up Windows mediaplayer and enter IP-adress and listen
to the streamed music. I tried it with stations on boht port 80, 15630, and 9020 to make sure it wasn't
just port 80 that was blocked, but they worked equally good. The stations I tried was both
with just a IP-adress with numbers and also normal domain names.
Did this make anyone wiser?

DrBubba

DrBubba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I made a search with both Malwarebyte and Norman Malware, and found a couple of infected files. One was called Hijacktool Proxy and was found in a file called U94.exe. The others were w32/searchguardplus that was foun in Fast Browser and Search Guard Plus. So I deleted all of those but still no progress. :) Still were I started.

DrBubba

DrBubba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
** SOLVED **

What did the trick was Norton Removal Tools. Don't know exactly what old Norton product that was lurking around on the machine, but it is gone....and the machine works as it should!! VICTORY!!!! :)

SRX660: Thanks for taking the time!

Edited by DrBubba, 07 August 2010 - 05:07 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible