Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hpzipm12.exe, Cannot Open New Apps

• Please log in to reply

Walrus5241

Walrus5241

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yesterday evening, I left my computer on as I went over to a friend's place. I was backing up files to a wiped, formatted external hard drive and wanted to use this down time as an opportunity to do some heavy-duty pasting.

When I returned around 1 this morning, I found that my computer somehow got a virus, it would seem. The symptoms are as follows:

-I am getting the recurring message "Application cannot be executed. The file hpzipm12.exe is infected." I'm not trying to do anything, but I am getting this message on a recurring basis. It's happened once or twice with other exes, but I can't recall what.
-Avast! has blocked svchost.exe from going to several different malware URLs, probably about 3-5 I'd say. It hasn't happened in the last hour or so, but I'm guessing it may be related.
-I cannot run almost any new apps. I can't run Malwarebytes, Spybot, or (most importantly) HijackThis. Normally I'd include that log here, but I can't even get it to run.
-I *was* able to perform a virus scan with Avast! but it turned up nothing, showing 0 uninfected files.

I've had this laptop since 2008 and had little to no issues with it, and no viruses. I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3, with 2 GB of RAM. I don't know what else to include, I've never had anything like this happen before and I'm pretty scared. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Walrus5241

Walrus5241

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have tried running RKill.exe, RKill.com, RKill.scr, and RKill.pif, and none work. The security warning pops up saying "Application cannot be executed. The file ___ is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" I have tried leaving the security warning up and attempting to run the RKill program again, but to no avail.

The "Application cannot be executed" warnings are now popping up for almost every .exe I run, including mbam.exe and background processes such as googleupdate.exe.

Edited by Walrus5241, 04 August 2010 - 03:57 AM.