Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNSCACHE/Win7 Disabled - Expect Problems?

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Have disabled DNSCACHEing(actually disabled DNS Client) for a reason - what problems can I expect?

Reason: when (1) Internet (from modem via hardwired to router) was reconnected - or - (2) the PC was idle long enough to 'go to sleep' then was 'restarted' ... there was a 2 - 3 minute delay before a URL could be 'processed' (via Firefox) or email (WLM) could be synced. After using Win System Monitor and SysInternals,it boiled down to an svchost.exe which 'called' DNSCACHE (and others) .... but it was dnscache taking 50% of CPU and 'not letting FF complete".

I was advised to disable the dnscacheing ... which worked.

Subsequently,I've set up a homegroup to share things (printer, documents, etc) with wife's laptop. Had trouble setting it up (was due to PCTOOLS Firewall Plus - worked when removed) but in troubleshooting, saw a caveat from M$ that DNS Client should be enabled.

Have tested (a little) and sharing from laptop works whether dnscache is disabled or not.

My question is: have I just been fortunate so far and what can I expect in the future?

Advertisements