Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install antivirus

• Please log in to reply

Geek2Geek

Geek2Geek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got an email from my isp that my account has been used to "distribute copyrighted movies/audio". I'm fairly sure this Vista machine is clean, but I'm concerned about my son's Windows 2000 machine. Both are hardwired through the same home router.

It has some software that was used by the previous owner (a food friend) to send prerecorded messages through a special router called xiao bang shou. I'm trying to figure out how to uninstall that. It's not listed in add/remove programs and there are many files and folders associated with it. I'm not really sure if that's a part of this problem or not.

I ran an updated full scan with Malwarebytes which found nothing. Superantispyware found 118 tracking cookies and other good stuff.

I tried to update PCTools which was already on the machine and it wouldn't do it. I downloaded Avast and when I try to run the setup file, these strange characters come up - they look like Greek or Russian to me. I uninstalled PC Tools, redownloaded it and when I try to run the setup file, the PCTools interface comes up with these strange characters. I also just noticed that when I mouse over the systray clock, the date is also in the characters.

I did an online scan with Trend Micro Housecall which found sai1C2.exe. It said it was spyware and the threat was ADW ZWANG3. It 'fixed' it, whatever that means.

I've been running another online scan with Panda Active Scan 2; it's been at it for seven hours, found 2 infected files so far and 88 'vulnerabilities'. Still at 46%.

Any help appreciated

I'll see if I can attach a screenshot of what I mentioned above

Attached Thumbnails

• GreekorwhateverlookinlettersPCTools2Cropped.jpg

Advertisements