Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD replacement

• Please log in to reply

royuix

royuix

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,
I recently bought a new HDD 2tb to replace a file server 500gb HDD, the file server is the secondary drive so it only has files on it and no programs etc. I was wondering what would be the easiest way to replace it all? Could I hook up the HDD to another PC that's connected to the server and copy all the files? Or is there a easier way I can do it?

thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You could use a HDD enclosure such as the one shown here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153066
You will note there are cheaper options available, but I like Thermaltake.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: The enclosure I highlighted is for SATA drives only, see the home page
for other options.

Edited by phillpower2, 05 August 2010 - 02:45 AM.

royuix

royuix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

You could use a HDD enclosure such as the one shown here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153066
You will note there are cheaper options available, but I like Thermaltake.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: The enclosure I highlighted is for SATA drives only, see the home page
for other options.

Thanks for the advice but I don't think it's worth it I could just copy all the files even though it takes a while, and the other HDD is an IDE I believe so it wouldn't work.

JonM33

JonM33

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If you have an available SATA port then just install it, transfer the files and remove the 500GB drive.