Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Decrypt data through new copy of Windows?

• Please log in to reply

ex500ct

ex500ct

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Dell Inspiron crashed a few days ago, and I finally got the HDD working to the point where i was able to reinstall a fresh copy of XP. I was fortunate to have backed up all my data the previous week. However, I did not realize that I had encrypted all 'My Documents' awhile ago and therefore, I am unable to copy or open them in my new OS because the drive where they are stored won't allow me access. I looked at some older backups and was fortunate to see that I had backed up all my application data and system data, including windows system files. The DPAPI files were intact and accessible, and from the info I gathered these are what I need to unlock my encryption key. My question is: how do I go about transferring all the system files to a new copy of windows xp and getting the computer to recognize them as the encryption keys so I can unlock my data? I know that without the keys I would be SOL, but thankfully I have them backed up and know that it will just be a pain to go through all the steps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
How did you encrypt your files?

ex500ct

ex500ct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I checked the box under the advanced folder options to 'encrypt data to secure contents.' It, along with the files inside, changed from black to green font.

Edited by ex500ct, 05 August 2010 - 09:47 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try to take ownership and uncheck the box.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

ex500ct

ex500ct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No dice. I am able to take ownership of the files/folders but I am still not able to decrypt them. I think this is because my old keys are still on my backup. I have my keys from these folders from the original encryption:

c:\documents and settings\user\application data\microsoft\crypto\
c:\documents and settings\user\application data\microsoft\protect\
c:\documents and settings\user\application data\microsoft\systemcertificates\

but am unsure how exactly to transfer them to my new OS and get them to work. This article is the closest thing I have come across to getting it done but it is way over my head:

http://www.beginning...very/index.php.

If you or anyone else has done this method and can explain it to me in a simpler way, or has an easier way they could walk me through, I think I could get it done. I just get lost when the author starts talking about converting into hex (this is the extent of my skill in Windows.)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
There are a few programs that will do the job for you...try this one http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

Its a demo, it should be able to at least recover some and if you REALLY need that data then I believe its $100 to purchase.