Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fake-AntiVirus removed; still have a huge problem

• Please log in to reply

IveHadWorse

IveHadWorse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,

I was infected by a Fake-Antivirus program (known only as Antivirus, that looked a lot like Antivirus Suite), which removed malwarebytes instantly, and blocked access to all .exe files. Every time I would download malwarebytes it would not open even if I renamed it, as had been suggested by many. I finally got some good advice from another forum where someone had the same error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." and was told to install malwarebytes via command prompt. Great! Malwarebytes was able to successfully remove many of the traces that the virus, malware, and trojans had left.

And while I still have one or two lingers problems (one of the missing files still tries to run at startup, but it can't be found, and I can't remove it from the Software Explorer/Startup list ... "svc.exe" if anyone is familiar), the biggest problem is I still can't open .exe files that aren't already installed, and in some cases (trying to install Temp File Cleaner as recommended by your site) have even been denied in command prompt, with the message that windows has blocked my access. I still get the above message.

This is getting very frustrating. I couldn't even extract an .exe file onto my desktop from a zip folder (GMER Rootkit Scanner in this case)!

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me with this, I've never had such a frustrating and altogether agonizing experience with a virus before.

Thanks in advance,

IveHadWorse :)

Advertisements