Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unusual Power Supply Failures

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
A guy at work asked me to stop by and take a look at his computer the other day. He told me that I wouldn't power on following a power outage at his house. I plugged in the machine, pressed the button and the fans spun for a split second and then shut off. I grabbed my power supply tester and checked every cable. According to the tester, everything was fine, but I'm assuming that's because the tester doesn't apply a load.

Anyway, I started unplugging things one at a time until I got the the 4 pin power connector for the processor. Once this was unplugged, the machine would stay on with no problems. I told him that it looked like a problem with the power supply, so we ran to Best Buy and grabbed on off the shelf. Hooked it up and it had no problems.

Fast forward about 2 weeks. He told me this morning, that the same thing is happening again. Try to turn it on and the fans spin for a second and the machine turns off. Anyone have any idea as to what the problem might be? The machine functions flawlessly other than this unusual problem.

Advertisements