Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition XP Installation

• Please log in to reply

GreatGeak

GreatGeak

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I've got what I believe to be a tricky tech question. I've gotten started on a theory I've had, but have been having issues bringing it home, I was hoping you could give me a hand.
I'm using a Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite with a broken DVD drive. I want to start over with Windows XP, and have decided that it would be most beneficial if I create a second partition and put the installation CD there. This way if I need it in the future, I will have easy access.
Using Partition Wizard I created a second "Primary" partition with about 5GBS of space. I zipped up the XP install cd into a ISO file. Using EasyBCD I was able to add the iso/partition to the MBR/BDR.
Everything went smoothly until I ran the ISO and hit the "Starting Windows" faze of the installation. At that point I recieved the Blue Screen of death...however it did not dumb RAM...it just kinda froze.

This leads me to my ultimate question:
1. Is it possible to create a second partition on my hard drive (or external) that can run a windows installation, so as to re-install/format my primary partition?
2. If this is possible, how might I go about performing said task?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, why? Buy an external USB drive and then just use the CD to reinstall in the future, it'll be a lot easier.

You can install XP from the hard drive if you really want to, though it's a lot more effort and doesn't run any quicker than it does off a CD.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you trying to reformat the entire drive to get rid of windows 7? or
Are you trying to do a dual boot install of XP?

I would 1st check to see if you can find all the drivers that would be required for XP.
Newer computers are VERY difficult (if not impossible) to back down to a previous OS.