Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Install/Repair Without CD

• Please log in to reply

TDL

TDL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all. I currently can not access windows and I am attempting to format & re-install Windows XP. I have not been able to find a complete solution while searching online. I will describe what happens when I turn on the computer:

After the computer starts it immediately enters setup. I am then prompted to insert disk (which was not provided by the manufacturer.)
-If I click "Cancel" a window pops up that says "Fatal Error" (the message informs me that "One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.")
-I then click Ok and I am presented with a "System Setup Log"; I encounter multiple errors in this log (I can type all of this out if it is relevant.)
-After I click close on the log the system reboots and immediately goes back into setup, where I am once again presented with the "Insert Disk" window.
-If I click Ok, a "Files Needed" window pops up; here it says "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 Cd is needed." The window also has a drop down window at the bottom that allows me to type the location of the files needed.
-I attempted to use Microsoft's solutions, but I was unable to advance past this stage.
-Furthermore, I attempted to type in the location of I386 on my computer, which should be C:\I386, but this did not resolve the issue.

I have searched online for a XP boot disk, but I can only find ones that work with floppy disks (which is of no use to me.)

Like I already referenced, I would ideally like to format then re-install. The system that I am working on is an Acer Aspire 3100. I am not entirely sure what information is needed so I attempted to be as complete as possible in what is occurring. I am more than happy to provide any additional information. Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
TDL

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Borrow a XP CD, (same version)?

Note: Use your Product Key. It should be on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop.

TDL

TDL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your reply. I am currently trying to track down a copy.

Regards,
TDL

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
To resolve the issues you have you would need a XP cd (as already stated).
This would allow you to run sfc /scannow or re-install as you want.

FYI: There are some boot CD's available. Not sure how well they would help you.

All about bootdisc.com
Ultimate Boot CD
Barts PE
Making a XP boot cd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being a Acer system there should be a recovery partition on your hard drive. If there is no data you want to keep you may try the steps below.

Hard Disk Recovery should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your system’s BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

Once Hard Disk Recovery is enabled, restart the system and hit ALT+F10. This will begin the Aspire system recovery process. You will be prompted to type six zeros as a security step. Type 000000 to proceed.

You will then see a screen to select your Operating System
. Do this and hit enter and the recovery process will begin.