Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser Redirects and I Can't Update Malwarebytes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
do this instead

Please download Dr.Web CureIt . Save it to your desktop:
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit.exe file and click Scan to run express scan. Click OK in the pop-up window to allow the scan.
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and if something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, select Complete scan.
  • Click the green arrow Posted Image at the right, and the scan will start.
  • Click Yes to all if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, in the menu, click File and choose Save report list
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Note:this report may need to be renamed to Dr.Web.txt in order to post it on the forum.
  • Please post the Dr.Web.txt report in your next reply
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
NOTE. During the scan, pop-up window will open asking for full version purchase. Simply close the window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Topic reopened as requested by maisonvivante.

maisonvivante

maisonvivante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've been so frustrated with this over the past few weeks and today I SOLVED IT!

Just after I asked for this topic to be re-opened, I did a search for browsers redirecting to (mostly) videocop. Anyway, it turns out THE VIRUS WAS IN THE ROUTER, not on the computer!

The redirection problem was showing up on my spouse's Mac, which was our first clue, but we didn't even know a router could have this happen.

Anyway, we Reset the router, changed the password, and voila! this problem is FINALLY gone. Thanks to all the attempts to help here. Hopefully, this router information will help others. I've found a lot of threads about this "videocop" virus, and only one that shows where the real problem is: the router!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Thank you for letting us know.

maisonvivante

maisonvivante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here's a link to where I found the info. regarding the router:

http://tidystorm.com...s-in-my-router/

It seems like this is suddenly (August of 2010) a problem for a bunch of people.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.