Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVI vs VGA for laptop to external monitor

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have a Samsung sync master 21 inch LCD and a Samsung laptop that has a vga, and hdmi out. I've been using the monitor for almost a year now with another computer hooked up through DVI and it looked great. No, since I moved into a smaller space, I have my laptop hooked up to it through a vga cable. The monitor itself has ports for both, so an adapter is not needed. However, now I am seeing this horizontal ripple effect down the monitor. This never happened when I used dvi. Is this an effect of VGA? I've never seen it before on monitors I've had in the past. It is less noticeable on lower resolutions, but it is still there.

I'm wondering if it's worth my buying an hdmi-dvi cable to use the hdmi port on my laptop for the out, instead of the vga. Any ideas as to the cause of this, or another possible solution?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What operating system are you running, and can you provide the model number of your monitor?

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I'm running windows 7 Professional x64, and the monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster P2250

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
VGA is analog and as such is more subceptible to interferance. That may be your problem. It could be a problem with VGA circuits in the notebook or in the monitor. Assuming the VGA cable you are currently using is not damaged and is securely fastened on both ends, the only way to tell if it is the monitor or the notebook is to try another monitor. But since your notebook supports digital, and since digital is superior to analog anyway, I definitley recommend going digital. There are cables as you noted, and there are adaptors too. But a cable is the better route because anytime you add a connection (or two with an adaptor) you add the potential for problems.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Ah, thanks for the reply. I finally found the time to do some testing some some other monitors and cables I have, and with messing around I discovered it's actually due to the laptops power supply, being right next to the vga port. With the power supply plugged in I get the lines, with it not plugged in they are gone. There is probably no way to solve that then is there besides using the hdmi port which is not as close?

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Ah ha! I think I solved it. I found another cable that had much larger ferrite beads on the ends, and poof, no more lines. Thanks for the help guys, I don't think I would have thought about that otherwise.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
And you can't move the power supply?

Even so, digital normally gives a noticeably better image.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Well by power supply I mean the actual plug on the laptop itself is right beside the vga out. I thought about going with dvi anyway, but I currently have two computers hooked up to this monitor, again due to space issues. Since the monitor had both a vga and dvi input, it's quite easy to switch in between. If I go with dvi for the laptop as well, then I would have to also get a kvm switch. Maybe at some point that is what I'll do, but this will do for now.