Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot change screen resolution

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Until recently I've had no problems changing from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 screen resolution needed to run DVD software. Now when I try to change screen resolution it returns to 800 x 600 resolution. Trying to figure out if I have a graphics card problem or monitor problem. Do not have second computer available to switch monitor to.

Running Dell Dimension 9100 with ATI Radeon X300 SE 128Mb Hypermemory card, Princeton 19" LCD monitor on XP Home edition with service pack 3 and 2Gb RAM.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Perhaps its just a matter of reinstalling the video drivers.

http://www.soft32.co...oad_180868.html

If reloading the drivers does not change anything, then it is usually a program that is locking the resolution into one setting. Did you install any games or programs a bit before this started to happen?

SRX660

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Perhaps its just a matter of reinstalling the video drivers.

http://www.soft32.co...oad_180868.html

If reloading the drivers does not change anything, then it is usually a program that is locking the resolution into one setting. Did you install any games or programs a bit before this started to happen?

SRX660

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I've tried updating video drivers (no change) and restored system to earlier date but this did not solve the problem. Any other suggestions?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It's time to try a different video card then. There may be physical damage to the card causing the problem.

SRX660

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
This may be hard to believe. After checking all drivers for video and monitor, I remembered my "first rule", shut the computer completley down for five minutes and re-boot. "Sazam", problem solved. I run my system 24-7 with an APC surge/battery back-up and every now and again "gremblins" creep into the operating system.

Thanks for your suggestions.