Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GA-P55A-UD3 won't post...

• Please log in to reply

muliyul

muliyul

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Mobo: GA-P55A-UD3 rev 1.0
Bios ver. F9
CPU: Intel i7 Core 860 @ 2.80Ghz
Mem: 2 sticks x 2Gb each (KVR1333D3N9/2G)
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5750 @ 1Gb mem
PSU: ATX 12v, 400w
CDROM: LG DVD RAM

I did NOT assemble this computer. My PC expert did.
Other info:
* Computer sometimes posts, then after some time it freezes and monitor goes off to standby, my sound is stuck and repeats itself (its in a 1 sec loop or so)
* Other times my computer is turned off (after I shut it down properly through windows) and it still won't post.
* My monitor is an old CRT (MAG) which I use for gaming. I used it for a few years at 85Hz desktop (1024x768) and 120Hz on Counter strike (640x480).
* Computer beeps like this: 1 Long 1 short or 1 Long 2 short (can't tell the difference)
* Phase LEDS are all on while having this issue

A few questions:
1) what can be done in order to fix the posting problem. please post detailed steps because I've never messed with a hardware before, although I am a software expert.
2) Is it possible that this problem is because of the monitor being exhausted with having such high refresh rates - therefore it somehow shortens the Mobo?

My expert's opinion is that my monitor is causing all this, though I don't think so... it has worked perfectly fine on my old PC (I bought this one 2 months ago)

Steps I've tried:
* Fail-safe options on bios
* Swap RAM slots
* Disconnect monitor, try to boot without it
* Jump the CMOS (without removing bat)
* Update Bios
* Bought a new PSU (Corsair TX650w)

Still nothin. HELP!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Beep codes:

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

It might be this your problem: PSU: ATX 12v, 400w causing your ATi Radeon HD 5750 to not initialize sometimes.

I would consider upgrading to a minimum of 650w, newer video cards requires a lot more power and 400w is probably stretching it to its limit.

Update:
Sorry I had missed the part where you said that you have tried a Corsair TX650 and it did not help.

Edited by Alzeimer, 06 August 2010 - 10:41 AM.

muliyul

muliyul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Beep codes:

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

It might be this your problem: PSU: ATX 12v, 400w causing your ATi Radeon HD 5750 to not initialize sometimes.

I would consider upgrading to a minimum of 650w, newer video cards requires a lot more power and 400w is probably stretching it to its limit.

Update:
Sorry I had missed the part where you said that you have tried a Corsair TX650 and it did not help.

so - any other ideas?