Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Synchronize Data Between Two Computers

• Please log in to reply

adai2020

adai2020

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi all,

I have a Windows XP Thinkpad T60 laptop at home and a Windows XP Dell desktop computer at work. I normally work interchangeably in both my laptop and desktop computers. I want the data stored in both my computers to be synchronized. For example, lets say i created a new "sample.docx" file in my desktop computer at work, when i return home, i want to continue working on the "sample.docx" file from where i left off at work.

It is not necessary for the entire C drive to be synchronized between the two computers. I only want a method by which i can successfully synchronize the data stored in specific folders or directories between my two computers. What is the most efficient way to do this ?

I would prefer to have the synchronized data between my two computers to be stored in my respective computer hard disks which will allow me to work offline after any possible synchronization process that has been performed through some online process.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Note:
1) I have tried the manual method of saving files in thumb drive and transferring them back and forth between the two computers every once in a while to synchronize the data but this method has a lot of associated disadvantages.
2) I have also tried "Google Docs" method, but i don't like it for several reasons.
3) Hence i am looking for some other better way than those above.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can use dropbox. It does cost 9$ month, but its well worth it. I use it for backing up several different computers. Often, when I need to share documents, its the easiest method of making it available. even has a web portal for those times your not on one of your computers.

This may or may not be allowed at work, depending on your work policies.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If it's for PCs only, take a look at Windows Live Sync.

If you want to add other devices and some limited remote desktop access, consider the beta version (formerly Windows Live Mesh, and what I use): http://explore.live....mesh-upgrade-ui

Both are free, and offer 25GB of cloud storage.

Finally, there's also Windows Live Workspaces for Office docs.

Edited by admin, 06 August 2010 - 09:41 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
+1 for dropbox

though, to be honest i hadn't heard of the beta version of live sync....of course it's only available for vista or 7...which i don't have at work

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thank you Starjax, Admin and Dsenette for your help.

I found the Windows Live Sync to be very useful and have started using it.

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I have some more urgent questions on the matter of synchronizing data between two computers.

Currently i am using Windows Live Sync. Using Windows Live Sync, my desktop computer at work has to be online for the files in my laptop at home to be updated and synchronized. Currently, i 'lock' my desktop computer at work while leaving it still connected to the internet and still turned on whenever i leave for home. At home i can then update the files in my laptop through Windows Live Sync.

I have checked how Windows Live Sync works and found out that both my computers have to be online simultaneously for the files to be synchronized. This means i have to always leave my computer at work online but lock the windows system so that other users cannot access the computer every time i return home.

Hence i want to ask whether there is some other way in which i don't have to leave my computer at work or my computer at home online all the time in order to synchronize the files between the two computers.

This problem arises with Windows Live Sync because no data is stored in any online server and the files in our computers are synchronized by downloading data directly from our other computer. Therefore both computers must be online simultaneously for synchronization to occur.

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've got vista or windows 7 on both computers the beta that admin linked to actually has online storage. if not, dropbox has online storage

siyuan123

siyuan123

• Pip
  • 1 posts

You may try out http://www.backupcow.com, which is a good and easy way to backup and synchronize data between two computers. It can fully meet your needs.