Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card Replacement

• Please log in to reply

LadyMacbeth44

LadyMacbeth44

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi. I have an HP Pavilion xe744 with a crappy Intel 82810 graphics controller. I would like to upgrade to a GeForce card. I printed the instructions to disable the Intel graphics, so that won't be a problem. I need to know if GeForce cards will be compatible with this computer. I'm looking at a GeForce FX5200 card with 256 DDR. My processor is Intel Celeron 733Mh, I have 512 ram. I'm sure it will be quite a head-ache to disable the Intel, but I'm more than willing to wade through it if it will reduce the lag in Everquest. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Money is an object here, that's why I'm not looking for a more high-end card. <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You wouldn't get maximum benefit from a high-end card because you'd be limited by your CPU. The FX5200 seems a good choice to me, or maybe the ATI 9200.

LadyMacbeth44

LadyMacbeth44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi! Thanks for your quick reply to my video card question. I've read on other boards that AGP-type cards can't be installed with Intel boards that have on-board graphics controllers. PCI is recommended...I'm sorry to sound ignorant (though, actually, I am). Where is the new card to be installed? Isn't my all-in one board what my monitor plugs into? I just want to make sure the card will work with this system before I spend the money. I'm a shut-in, and my computer is my connection to the world right now. I love playing Everquest, but the lag issues have gotten serious, so I know I need this new video card. Thank you for your help. <_<

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
you can just plug your moniter in the new card <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can find you computer specs here:
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph06039

There is no AGP slot, so a PCI video card is your only option. As Soxrok said, the monitor will connect to the new monitor connection on the back of this PCI video card.

Still confused? Just ask! <_<

LadyMacbeth44

LadyMacbeth44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi! Thanks for all of the help. With your help, I've decided on the Radeon Diamond Stealth S80 9200. Works with PCI slots, and will be DirectX 9 supported. In the right price range for what I can spend atm also...I appreciate all the help, and hopefully installation won't be too much of a headache. I'm going to open my computer later to learn where the PCI slots are..Wish me luck! <_<