Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete network icon

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
My system-Windows ME

The other day i was just looking at the networking options (because i am going to set up a network when i get my 12 inch powerbook) it saved the changes I made and now whenever I log into my computer It has a network log in and I can't figure out how to get rid of it ( i also have a icon on my desktop i can't delete called "My Network Places"
can i get rid of these things (at least until I get my new power book)

Advertisements

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

My system-Windows ME

The other day i was just looking at the networking options (because i am going to set up a network when i get my 12 inch powerbook)  it saved the changes I made and now whenever I log into my computer It has a network log in and I can't figure out how to get rid of it ( i also have a icon on my desktop i can't delete called "My Network Places"
can i get rid of these things (at least until I get my new power book)

View Post

when you log on, you have the choice to logon on over your network or THIS COMPUTER (if you have set up a network) you just chose which you want!!! if you want to get rid of the MY NETWORK PLACES you right click on your desktop go to PROPERTIES then DESKTOP at the botom select CUSTOMIZE DESKTOP and then uncheck what you do not want shown ie, MY NETWORK PLACES or MY COMPUTER etc....

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
all the tabs I have under display properties are- background, screen saver, appearence, effects , web , settings (which one do I click or am I in the wrong spot.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Right click on the My Network Places icon and selct "properties"..

Now change the logon from "Client for Microsoft Networks" to "Windows Logon"..

Apply and okay out.. Reboot..

The logon window may come up once more.. If it does, just click "okay".. DO NOT "x" out or click "cancel"..

Murray

Josiah

Josiah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
That got rid of the network login but I still can't delete the my network places on my desktop. It won't let me delete it.

do you know how to delete it

thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Install and run the System Policy Editor (poledit.exe) - it's in the \tools\reskit\netadmin\poledit folder of the CD.

Select Open Registry from the File menu.

Double-click on the Local User icon.

Open Local_User\ Shell\ Restrictions.

Check Hide Network Neighborhood.

Click OK, and select Save from the File menu.

You'll have to restart Windows for this change to take effect.

Murray