Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive won't detect

• Please log in to reply

mboy12

mboy12

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I purchased an adapter to use hard drives on a usb cable. I had an old SATA laptop hard drive around so I wanted to use it as extra memory. When I plugged it in, the computer immediately detected new hardware and installed, the only problem is that no icon ever appeared in My computer. now whenever i plug it into the usb, the hardware icon appears in the taskbar but still wont be present in My computer. Im using Windows Xp professional version 2002 service pack 3.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
Right-click My Computer, select Manage, then click Disk Management. Does the drive show up in there?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
FYI only

I had an old SATA laptop hard drive around so I wanted to use it as extra memory

Its not memory. The hard drive would be extra storage.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Right-click My Computer, select Manage, then click Disk Management. Does the drive show up in there?

no it does not, even though the safely remove hardware icon appears when i plug it in.

Edited by mboy12, 07 August 2010 - 10:08 AM.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

FYI only

I had an old SATA laptop hard drive around so I wanted to use it as extra memory

Its not memory. The hard drive would be extra storage.

ya as storage, I want to use it as a slave drive. Its a fujitsu ibm hard drive if that helps.
Its shows up in device manger under disk drives as "Usb to IDE/SATA device usb device"

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Go back in to disk management and get a screen shot for us.