Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooling Fan and Dust Buildup

• Please log in to reply

RyanT1000

RyanT1000

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey all,

I have a Toshiba laptop, and I have noticed that my "cooling"/ventilation fan on the under portion of the laptop has collected a relatively good amount of dust on the blades of the fan. There are times I believe that my laptop might be running somewhat hot. I am not certain if this dust build up is facilitating this temperature situation... or if I am just over-sensitive to it because I think it might be a problem. Is there a way I can remove this dust without running the risk of causing some sort of damage to the laptop? I appreciate the feed back! :)

-Ryan

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Disassemble, then gently vacuum and/or use compressed air to remove the dust. Small artist brushes and tweezers will also come in handy.

Note: Spinning the fan[s] too fast with compressed air can ruin the bearings. Use something like popsicle sticks or toothpicks to keep the fan blades from spinning.

RyanT1000

RyanT1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for letting me know! I think I'll have to get over my terror of possibly screwing up something the process of dissembling it, cleaning it, and then reassembling it. I appreciate the help! :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

or if I am just over-sensitive to it because I think it might be a problem.

Not at all. Dust buildup is never good and with notebooks, it is even more problematic due to the confined space and inherent lack of adequate fan support. If you can see dust buildup, it is a problem. If you don't feel comfortable disassembling, take it to a shop. At the bare minimum, remove all access panels, cards, slide in devices, the battery and use a can of dusting can to blast out the dust.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The video in this link may help you decide if you will tackle the cleaning task yourself