Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Frequent Disconnections

• Please log in to reply

dabienman

dabienman

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i am currently running on SBC DSL with 2wire modem. the man hub is my study room while on this computer i am using a 2wire adapter. my internet all goes through the phone line, but there are 2 lines so i can receive calls while on the internet. while i am playing games or just doing whatever, every now and then it says "Your network cable has been unplugged" above the taskbar. A usualy Reboot of the computer will fix everything. i have checked all the lines and switched USB adapters and all but it doesnt seem to work. what is more strange is that it only seems to disconnect in my room. the main study room and my brothers room dont seem to get disconnected as often as me. is there a way to check if this is the 2wire or SBC's problem or if i can find out if a virus is attacking my computer? these disconnections are very frustrating and annoying when suddenly everything just dies.

Advertisements

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi, Dabienman. A few questions for you:
  • What OS are you running and does it have all the latest updates?
  • Have you installed the latest drivers for your Network Interface Card (NIC)
  • Have you tried a different cable from your PC to the switch?
  • Does the same thing happen EVER to the other PC's connected to the switch?
  • Have you tried the cable from your PC into another port of the switch?
  • Does this happen at the same time as the other PC's connected to the switch?

dabienman

dabienman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
My computer specs are : http://img.photobuck...an/computer.jpg

i dont think i have any new updates for my driver because my computer searches and doesnt find anything.

i have tried a different adapter but not a cable yet.

this never happens in my brothers room and he uses same internet but a different type of adapter that is discontinued =\.

i have tried all different USB plugs in the back of my computer but all have same result.

this doesnt happen at the same time my other PCS connect because they are usually always on.

i am using a 2wire PC PORT and i dont know if this is the problem but the LIGHT on the network section for my adapter keeps blinking. not really in a rythmic motion but just blinks very fast every now and then.

there is also no warning when i will get disconected. sometimes i will be surfing the web and suddenly it takes a long time to load up a page. and then it pop up network cable is unplugged.

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
The error message you are reporting points to a hardware problem rather than software, although this cannot be completely discounted. Can you try connecting another network cable between your PC and the switch? Make sure it's a crossover cable.

Please can you tell me what speed your NIC is working at? Follow the steps below to find out:
  • Hold down the WINDOWS key on your keyboard.
  • With the WINDOWS button held down, press the PAUSE/BREAK key to get the System Properties window open.
  • Click on the Hardware tab and then click on the Device Manager button.
  • In the list that appears, click the + next to Network Adapters.
  • Right-click on the name of your NIC and click Properties from the menu.
  • Click the Advanced tab across the top of the Properties window.
  • In the list, please click on Link Speed & Duplex.
  • In the Value box on the right, ideally it should be set to Auto. If this is not the case, please select it from the menu.

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I've just looked up the 2wire adapter and seen it's a wireless connection you have! How strong is the signal between you and the access point?

dabienman

dabienman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thats weird... my internet is NOT wireless =\. the cable goes straight to the phone line.

also after i select auto on Link Speed and Dupluxe what do i do? I press OK and nothing seems to happen.

this is my adapter: http://www.2wire.com/?p=124

and how do i find the signal between accesspoints?

under the + of Network Adapters tab there are 2 of them. 1 is 2Wire PC PORT #5 and one is Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. i did the stuff on the intell because the 2wire does not have an ADVANCED Tab.

Edited by dabienman, 26 May 2005 - 02:49 PM.

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hmm, strange! Ok, not to worry. Do you have a microfilter on the socket you are plugging into? It might be a long shot but do you notice that you get disconnected when you receive phonecalls or someone makes an outgoing call?

dabienman

dabienman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
nope.

but i dont know if this helps but it seemed to do something. when you said to look at my network cards i had two of them. i DISABLED the one that said was unplugged so now im only registering one. but the one i am using now i cant look at its stats because it has no ADVANCED menu. heres a little picture to explain what i mean

Posted Image

i also changed cables, maybe that should help.

Edited by dabienman, 28 May 2005 - 10:58 AM.

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Was that a 'nope' you don't have a microfilter on the socket or 'nope' you don't get disconnected when you receive phone calls?

dabienman

dabienman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
dunno what a mircrofiler is. and its a nope for both i guess.

i usually get disconnected when i leave my computer over night. like somewhere around 12-5am i will get disconnected. i get it less during the daytime

Edited by dabienman, 07 June 2005 - 03:20 PM.

jaks97

jaks97

• Pip
  • 2 posts
5 years later I am having same issue, what is the final answer? Do I need a new 2 wire or??????

jaks97

jaks97

• Pip
  • 2 posts
5 years later I am having same issue, what is the final answer? Do I need a new 2 wire or??????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't know as the original poster has answered since June 7th 2005.
If you are the original poster have you tried changing the cable?
Is your nic card built onboard the motherboard or is it a add on card?
Have you contacted your ISP to have them check the line for noise or signal lost?
Have you had them run diagnostics on the modem from their end?
Most likely you are leasing the modem from the ISP unless you had to buy one from a store. If so then the ISP should replace it since it is 5 years old and technology has changed a lot since it was first installed.
I cannot see any computer specs so you will need to repost them.
Is it a branded system and if so what make and model?
If custom built then what motherboard make and model?
From my experience the symptoms you describe usually relates to a bad cable or failing nic card.