Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible RAM slot failure?

• Please log in to reply

nucleotide_boy

nucleotide_boy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi all,

I've got a HP Compaq 6720s running windows Vista (don't start!). Here's my full setup:

HP Compaq 6720s Laptop
Intel Celeron M 550 @ 2GHz
HP 30D8 Motherboard
HP 68MDU Ver F.0D BIOS

It was running with just 1GB of ram and was really starting to go slowly so I decided to upgrade. I bought 2 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz Corsair RAM boards. Now, I know I wouldn't get the full 4GB RAM usage, on account of using a 32-bit OS. But that's not the problem.

I think one of my ram slots is faulty. I know both the ram units work as I've tried them individually with no problem. They always work in the first slot. When I put both units in though I get the BSOD when Windows tries to load up. I went into the BIOS and it sees that there is 4096MB ram. However when I run the memory test with both units in it gets to 25% and then the display goes funny, and I can't tell if it is continuing the test because much of the text is illegible.

So that's it really, both RAM units work but when used together cause my computer to fail. Basically is there anything I can do or is there anything obvious I've overlooked as an enthusiastic but inexperienced upgrader?!

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi nucleotide_boy :)
This info is from the user manual 2048-MB (PC2-5300, 667-MHz, DDR2), it does not say that 2048-MB is the maximum memory permissible but I noticed that it only lists Ram options as 512mb/1024mb or 2048mb! maybe the board cannot handle more than 2048mb unlikely but possible, the same goes for the 800MHz Corsair, the board can possibly cope with 2048mb running at 800MHz but not 4096mb, someone better informed about laptops can confirm or say it would not cause the issue but maybe this is caused by a power issue ie-not enough.
For now I recommend scanning your computer with this crucial programme to see what Ram options it suggests;
http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true
You can also download & run this System Information tool for windows that will tell you whats happening with your Ram http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html
Where you previously using one stick of 1gb or two of 512mb + have you tried running one x 2gb stick + a stick of your original Ram?

nucleotide_boy

nucleotide_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

For now I recommend scanning your computer with this crucial programme...

...Where you previously using one stick of 1gb or two of 512mb + have you tried running one x 2gb stick + a stick of your original Ram?

Hi Phill,

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated! The Crucial link said I should be able to use 2x2GB PC2-6400, so in theory it should be fine.

I have just put in the 1gb stick that was in before (yes, I was previously using just a single stick) into the second slot. Seems to be working fine. So I've got it at 3gb at the moment (but the 1gb stick is PC-5300).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have just put in the 1gb stick that was in before (yes, I was previously using just a single stick) into the second slot. Seems to be working fine. So I've got it at 3gb at the moment (but the 1gb stick is PC-5300).

Have you tried swapping the 2gb stick that is in now with the other one to see what happens? If the problem reappears you have found your culprit.
As the computer was detecting the 4gb and now the 3gb is working okay it would appear that the Ram slots are okay, the 2 sticks of new Ram work individually but not together, suggesting that both sticks are good but not proven, as the new Ram was bought as a pair you would not expect there to be a conflict but it does happen.
If the issue cannot be resolved I would be tempted to return one of the 2gb sticks & swap it for a 1gb stick
of the same speed, as I said earlier it will need confirming by someone with knowledge of your laptop it could be a power issue, maybe 4gb is too demanding.
The only other option would be to return the 2 sticks for 2 replacements but if the problem re-occurred you would have to do the whole procedure again + 3gb for a laptop is more than adequate, 1gb for Vista and 2gb for everything else.
Sorry I can`t be more positive on the possibility it may be a power issue.

nucleotide_boy

nucleotide_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Sorry I can`t be more positive on the possibility it may be a power issue.

You have been more than helpful!

It doesn't seem to matter which of the 2 2GB units I use, they work fine until used together. I will take your advice and return one of them and get a matched 1GB stick.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a random internet stranger!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thank you for letting us know what you have decided and I think that by
carrying out all the tests that you have you have eliminated whatever
possibilities you could as far as was reasonably practical.
Thank you for choosing GTG and for allowing me to assist you, I hope you
will be happy with the improvement the 3gb gives you & please let us know
how things work out.

nucleotide_boy

nucleotide_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Phill,

Just to update you I've also had a response from HP and interestingly it looks like the Crucial scanning tool might be inaccurate in it's info. The guy from HP emailed and said that "The RAM tested and used on the unit is 533-MHz or 667-MHz; however, you have used 800 MHz. This would not be supported by the unit."

Hmmm! It was actually the crucial scanner that I originally used to select my ram. Looks like I'll just take it back to the shop and swap it for some 667-MHz RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi nucleotide_boy
Thanks for the update, the info from HP may confirm what I said in post #2 about the board possibly being able to run ok with 2gb of 800MHz but not with the 4gb, with the 1gb stick of PC-5300 onboard the 2gb stick of 800MHz would backclock to the lower speed so maybe 4gb of 800MHz was just too much.
This may sound like a daft suggestion :) but have you thought about taking the laptop with you to the store & have them try 2X2gb sticks of 667-MHz in the laptop! It could save you a bit of mucking about as the computer may not want to run 4gb of any speed and then it would be back to the store for a 1gb stick of 667-MHz.
just a thought though!

nucleotide_boy

nucleotide_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

This may sound like a daft suggestion :) but have you thought about taking the laptop with you to the store & have them try 2X2gb sticks of 667-MHz in the laptop! It could save you a bit of mucking about as the computer may not want to run 4gb of any speed and then it would be back to the store for a 1gb stick of 667-MHz.
just a thought though!

I think I may just do that! Might save me a lot of pacing back and forth!