Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install SP3 as my Boot.ini file is not a XP file

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

I have used Tuneup Utilities to alter my boot up to include a picture of my own instead of the usual.

Now, i seem unable to install SP3 for XP, the message i am getting is " Service Pack 3 setup error - The core system file (Kernel) used to start this computer is not a microsoft windows file"

I have tried to look into this and it appears to be the boot.ini file SP3 doesn't like.

I have uninstalled Tuneup hoping it removes the boot.ini as well and leaves the original but no joy.

Any help (in laymans terms please :) ) would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Quick update.

Re installed Tuneup and it asked me if i wanted to revert back to original boot.ini.

clicked Yes

tried to run the SP3 update and now get the following error message

" Service Pack 3 can not update a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version or vice versa "

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Tuneup utilities changes the boot.ini file. That is what the actual holdup is.
I have Tuneup Utilities also and have been dealing with it, but going to SP3 was not a big concern for me.

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Runner

This is the text

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=WNL0KJ

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Quick update

To be honest if i thought i will still get my safety critical updates from microsoft for SP2 then i wouldn't be that bothered, but have heard they are stop doing any more updates for SP2 only SP3.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am only updating my backup computer at the moment. SP3 has been known to create problems on install if the OS is not in good shape.

Go back to the edit portion where I had you go to get the boot.ini file.
The following line needs to be changed. Remove what is in bold and red.
Save the file and reboot.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=WNL0KJ

Before updating to SP3 I would recommend the following.
1. Clean out cache and temp files.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
2. Defrag the computer
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

3. Create a restore point

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

Have altered the boot.ini

ran the ATF cleaner but still get the " Service Pack 3 can not update a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version or vice versa " error message?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I know I replied to this yesterday but found the reply missing today.

Try This

123runner

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I know I replied to this yesterday but found the reply missing today.

Try This

123runner

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

Tried the fix in the site you gave and it worked, i installed SP3 perfectly except ....

Now i cant acesss windows, my computer is on permanent loop and it wont start in safe mode either as i get the BSOD so cant even do a system restore

Have had to borrow a friends laptop to type this

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the BSOD giving you any info or is it flashing to fast to see it?
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

The machine is now at the computer shop to see if he can gain access to be able to do a system restore.

If he cant get into the HD it looks like im completely shagged, either a full re install and lose everything or a new machine.

I am not blaming anyone for this especially runner as i know he was only trying to help, my big beef with all this is with microsoft.

Reading the forums it appears that SP3 is very unstable with certain motherboards? i would gather older motherboards as mine is, this is disgraceful, if i had a Honda car i wouldn't expect it to break down because i had used Shell for my petrol instead of Esso for e.g or my TV is in danger if i was to watch certain channels and then to rub salt not to be told about this untill after the event.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We could have attempted a System Recovery using the Recovery Console on the XP cd.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are ways we could have used to get it going.

The problem can be caused by a virus or malware or corrupt system files. Or a multitude of others
If you did a restore prior to installing SP3 we could have gone through the back door with the recovery console to get to the restore point.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi guys

Yeah i know i probaley acted a bit hasty taking it to the shop, but i have had the machine about 5 to 6 years now and not sure i could even lay my hands on the original discs (i got it second hand to start with)

I think my bottle had just gone when i unplugged everything and carted it off.

I do appreciate all the time and effort everyone puts in to help people and do blame myself bothering to upgrade in the first place.

This probaley serves as a big warning to everyone, if your machine is running fine and well dont bother trying to upgrade major parts of the OS