Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard disks installs driver and stays invisible

• Please log in to reply

TCo

TCo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!

Out of despair I have started this topic... I have spent a full day on the net looking for a solution to this problem but without any success.

Here is the story :

Plugged in my external USB hard drive (LaCie Big Disk Extreme +) and it indicted that it was installing new device driver software (Config AL2_LBDRJHa8_O_F USB device). Did not do this before... Happend on two separate computers so it seems to be coming from the disk. The result is that the disk does not show up in Windows explorer...

I Googled the device driver name but did not find anything. Tried deleting or disabling the driver in the control panel. Tried many of the free autorun and usb virus removal/prevention programs. Tried disabling autorun using Ultimate Windows Tweaker. Also tried starting the computer with BartPE and Ubuntu but I can't see the files on the USB disk...Just seems that nothing can catch this beast before it causes damage...

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Cheers,
Thierry

Advertisements

TCo

TCo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
[quote name='TCo' timestamp='1281196876' post='1882909']

Just wanted to add that I also tried disabling plug-and-play using Admin Tools. Couldn't do that because options to disable P&P were greyed out. Could this be the work of the virus?

Thanks,
Thierry

TCo

TCo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Update :

Managed to see the external disk under UBUNTU. Initially the disk shows correctly as a 2 Tera external drive, but after a few seconds the name changes to the name of the newly installed driver and capacity is shown as 8 MB. Any attempt to write to the disk (reformat etc... results in a i/o error...

If this is a virus that has attacked the hard disk boot sector, allocation table or whatever, I don't know what to do because it does nopt show up in the Windows explorer and presumably can't be checked with anti-virus software...

Help!!
Txx