Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Header formatting - centred AND left aligned

• Please log in to reply

birminghamwords

birminghamwords

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I need to format the headers of my word 2002 document as follows:

Page number: left (or right) aligned.
Title: on same line as page number but centred.

I am sure I've done this before, and I am sure it was easy... but I can't now for the life of me remember how.

Any ideas?

Best wishes,

Will :tazz:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Would clicking on View, selecting Header and Footer to bring up box, then selecting Insert Auto Text and choosing Page then File Name be what you want?

There seems to be several ways to get this done depending on what you want it to look like.

You can put your title and page number in the header, select font style and size, even move the page number around since it is in a frame while viewing the header. You can double-click in the header area once you have one set to bring up header/footer box.

Ron

maverick_josh

maverick_josh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Will,

Viewing the Header and Footer (by clicking View, Header and Footer) you will notice that a Center and Right tab stops will be inserted and the Header and Footer toolbar will pop-up.

If you want the page number to be left-aligned, you can either:
1. Click the icon for Insert Page Number, which is usually the icon next to Insert Auto Text, on the Header and Footer toolbar. This will insert a page number on the left side of the header.
2. If you want to insert the page number together with the total number of page, click Insert Auto Text and select Page X of Y.

As for the title, do you mean a manually-type title? if so, after inserting the page number, simply press the tab on your keyboard to jump your cursor on the first tab stop (the center tab stop) and type your title.

maverick

birminghamwords

birminghamwords

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, many thanks for this. I've sorted it out. (not sure what the problem was yesterday at all, in fact. Probably tiredness :tazz: !)

Best wishes,
Will