Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU upgrade speed

• Please log in to reply

trekynerd

trekynerd

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi folks. Hope you can help.

I had a Pentium D 3ghz CPU installed in my PC (Windows Vista 32bit). On this chip I got a windows rating of 4.8 for calculations per second. I decided to upgrade to a faster CPU, so I installed an Intel Core 2 Duo chip, 3.06Ghz. The windows rating has fallen to 4.7. Any ideas why I am getting a slower speed from a faster chip? Any clues on how to correct this? I'm sure this new chip should be a lot faster.

Hope you can help folks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Which Core 2 Duo chip have you installed and which Pentium D model did you have before?
A faster actual clock speed does not necessarily mean a boost in performance.

trekynerd

trekynerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi.

I have installed an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06GHz Wolfdale 3Mb Cache LGA775 (1066 MHz)

The pentium D was an Intel® Pentium® D Processor 830
(2M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Hope you can help

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
What is your motherboard make and model please?

trekynerd

trekynerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

My motherboard is an ASRock 1333-D667

Thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

A quick check on the Asrock site shows to new processor is not compatible with that mobo.

Murray

trekynerd

trekynerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi.

Are you sure thats right? All my literature which came with motherboard states that it is fully compatible with Intel Core 2 Duo. Do you have a link to the website you checked?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go HERE.

When the page opens, click on the "CPU Support List" in the box on the left of the screen. That processor is not to be found.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 09 August 2010 - 12:14 PM.

trekynerd

trekynerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok well thats fair enough lol. I would have thought that if the proccessor was not compatible with the motherboard it would not work, but it does.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The board will work, but will probably tell you "Processor not recognised" or "Unknown Processor". What happens in this situation is then sort of like "generic" mode. The processor will work, but the board can't take full advantage of it. This is true for about 99% of boards. Usually you update the BIOS to get round this if the new processor is supported by the board (which in your case it is not).

The exception to this rule is pretty much any Asus board (parent company of Asrock) that will simply refuse to do anything (even turn on) with a processor it doesn't recognise.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 August 2010 - 03:40 PM.

trekynerd

trekynerd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What a shame lol. Oh well, will know for furture reference.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.