Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SetUp.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

• Please log in to reply

UnknownVT

UnknownVT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First post/query here -
I hope someone can please help.
Windows XP SP2

I am trying to install an old driver -
Canon Digital Camera RS-232C TWAIN Driver
BUT each time I try double-clicking on SETUP.EXE I get the message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

It is only on this one SetUp.exe and happens on the CD-ROM or even if I copy the files/folders on to my hard drive and try to execute it there.

I have also found other (later) versions of the software - once downloaded and unzipped on to my hard drive the SetUp.exe behaves the same way.

Thinking that it may be a simple permissions problem - I booted into SAFE mode as Administrator and tried executing the SETUP.exe both from CD-ROM and the copies on the hard-drive - but get the same message.

On the downloaded versions I also made sure that the SETUP.exe properties had the file UNBLOCKED.

So in other words I cannot find a way to install this old driver in either my original CD-ROM form or the newer downloaded form.

I can run other .exe files on my PC fine.

The Canon Digital Camera RS-232C TWAIN Driver used to be installed and operational on my PC -
I think it was recently - 3 days ago - I installed a Cardis business card scanner that uses a TWAIN interface - that may have overridden or corrupted the Canon Digital Camera RS-232C TWAIN Driver - so now it no longer works.

In Add/Remove Programs I can still see the entry for Canon Digital Camera RS-232C TWAIN Driver -
(but I cannot find out where it is installed - so it might be a phantom entry? -
is there some way of locating it?)
but am reluctant to Uninstalled it (in case I can still somehow enable it)
- especially since I am unable to install any other version so far (since the SetUp.exe will not execute) .

I have spent a lot of time looking up this problem - and among the many found:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. at technet.Microsoft

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. - here on geekstogo

Any help would be much appreciated -
in either
enabling the execution of the one SETUP.exe file
or
enabling or activating the Canon Digital Camera RS-232C TWAIN Driver that appears to be still installed (but might not be - don't know how to check/confirm).

Link to the downloadable file:

Canon Digital Camera RS-232C TWAIN Driver

EDIT to ADD -

I have managed to get the Canon Digital Camera RS-232C TWAIN Driver top work on my PC again - by using System Restore to a point before I installed the Cardis business card reader.

However that SETUP.exe still will not execute off the CD or off the hard drive in any version.

Thanks,

--
Vincent

Edited by UnknownVT, 07 August 2010 - 07:18 PM.

Advertisements