Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont boot after Dell screen black with white cursor, Safe mode

• Please log in to reply

brianm767

brianm767

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First let me say I'm computer challanged so bare with me. I have a Dell desk top demensions 8300 series, operating Windows XP home addition, it's about 5 years old

Wife was using compt and walked away for a bit, I came back to compt and found a black screen with small flashing cursor mark in upper left corner, compt was unresponsive, rebnooted compt, goes through dell start up screen, then goes to black screen with white bar, never see windows screen.

Tried starting in safe mode, got "keyboard failure"

rebooted in F12 screen, (really dont know what I'm doing here) selected IDE CD-ROM device enter. installed windows reinstalation cd in cd drive and rebooted,same thing, dell screen then black screen, not really sure how to boot up from cd drive, may be doing it right, but it just doesnt work?

F2 screen shows Intel 4 processor installed, level 2 cache 1MB integrated, bios version A05,

Items below first 8
all say enter,
keyboard numlock = on
keyboard errors= report
auto power= disabled
fast boot=on
os install = off
lilit cpuid value= disabled
ide hard drive acoustics = suggested
system event log= enter
asset tag.........................................

Not sure what to do, this compt crashed years ago and I believe it also said keyboard failure and at that time we (dell and I) reformated h/d , but at that time I believe it went to black screen after windows start up, I'm going to black after dell screen and never see windows start up.

Any ideals or suggestions? I dont have it backed up, sure wish I could atleaset retrieve pictures before reformating if thats what is needed?

Advertisements