Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed XP Upgrade from Win2K - STUCK IN LIMBO

• Please log in to reply

mrfixitri

mrfixitri

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Northgate system I built myself about 7 years ago. [2.4 Pentium, 512MB RAM] It has been running Win2k all this time. But I needed to upgrade in order to use iTunes. I put in a legitimate XP Home disk; the upgrade went ok for a while (got the software key in, ran for about 20 mins), then the computer would go into sleep mode, re-boot and start the upgrade from where it left off when it went to sleep. It's now an endless cycle and I can't get out... I cannot reload Win2K, and XP won't finish the upgrade. I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue (there appears to be a "sleep" button on the front panel) or a software issue. The sleep button does not appear stuck. But I did accidentally hit it earlier this evening (before starting the upgrade). This has never happened before. I'm willing to sacrifice everything on the drive if need be. But how do I pull out of this cycle? When I remove the Win XP disk and reinstall it, it simply picks up where it left off in the upgrading mode. I figure at this point I can only do a clean install. But how? Suggestions??

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest, you slave hard drive in another computer, get your data off of it and perform clean XP installation.
I'd also suggest adding another 512MB of RAM.

mrfixitri

mrfixitri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Broni - Thanks for the reply. Slaving this drive in another computer is not an option. I'm working on the computer "off-site" and have nothing else but my laptop. Besides, I was able to do a full BU before starting the upgrade. I also agree with adding another 512mb RAM. But what it costs to add any RAM to this 7 year-old machine makes little sense for us. The money would be better put towards a new system. It's basically a "back-up" computer that we needed to put XP on in order to access an iTunes account. It worked perfectly fine with Win2K up until my attempted upgrade.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I assume that the disk you are using is not a upgrade disk.

Reformat and install of windows

If that does not work then I would use DBAN (Deriks boot and nuke) on the drive 1st. It will wipe the entire drive.
Then go back to the install.
Use the CD iso file
DBAN

If you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Edited by 123Runner, 08 August 2010 - 05:42 AM.