Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POST Code help

• Please log in to reply

SimonF

SimonF

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have just built a new PC using an ABIT AV8 3rd eye motherboard. I am using 2 memory stick s of 512 MB each. Problem is when the computer boots up it gets to POST code 52h and hangs. According to the manul this means that extended memory has been checked and reset to 0. I have swopped the sticks over and removed one etc. but to no avail. I find it hard to belive that both sticks are damaged (they were band new and have been handled carefully).

I am stumped, can anyone help ?

Thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Please run memtest86 on the ram if you can, I guess you would have to install them in another computer to do so.

I'll see if I can find any info on that post code.
Have you tried 1 of them in another dimm slot?

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try removing any usb devices you may have attached to the system to see if it will get passed that code

Try another keyboard

let me know if either helps

Edited by Doby, 24 May 2005 - 03:31 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Depending on your BIOS, this error can also mean a bad keyboard!!

Murray

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just for your information, you can find a lot of good info on your mother board here should you need it :

Abit AV8-3rd Eye, K8T800 Pro chipset AMD Athlon 64 motherboard review

Ron

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just read the link provided.. you are using a PHOENIX Award bios.. Your keyboard is your problem!!

Murray

SimonF

SimonF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks all so far. I will try a different keyboard tonight (Uk) when I get home.

Out of interest, I have no I/O back plate with this motherbaord, long story bought an ex demo one - big mistake! Anyway, point is could there be an earthing prolem because there is a flexible piece of metal that would be bent back to come into contact with the keyboard socket metal if the i/o backplate was in place. Thus, I wondered is this flexible piece of metal was producing some sort of earth problem- sounds very unfeasible though!

I will let you all know how I get on tonight.

Regards

Simon

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Let us know how it goes!! :tazz:

Murray

SimonF

SimonF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Not good I am afraid. I borrowed a PS2 keyboard from work in case my home one was US and got no further. Still POST code 52 and not able to enter BIOS setups or in fact do anything. The keyboard LEDs flash on earlier in the POST process but that is all.

Any other ideas gratefully recieved.

Regards

Simon

PS I am still not clear why my motherboard manual lists the POST code 52 as a memory check and you guys are suggesting it is a keyboard probelm.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

PS I am still not clear why my motherboard manual lists the POST code 52 as a memory check and you guys are suggesting it is a keyboard probelm.

View Post

If you are indeed using PhoenixBIOS 4.0, then the POST code 52h refers to the keyboard (Test Keyboard) :

User's Manual (PDF File)

Using this BIOS, pressing F2 should get you into the BIOS setup. I hope you read the info at link provided for your mobo and, if using the Phonix BIOS, read info at link also provided above.

Ron

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
the latest bios for your board does list 52h as failing the memory check so you are correct on that, older award bios listed that error as the keyboard, try the ram in another slot, try the ram inanother computer that supports it.

If trying the ram in another slot works and returning it to the original again makes it not post this indicates a bad slot and you should RMA the board.

If you test the ram in another computer and it works but switching slots does not and it still fails post with error 52h then the board is bad and needs a RMA

Rick

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Doby:

An Award BIOS does show 52h as a memory error.. However, a Phoenix Award BIOS,which is what his system uses, lists 52h as a keyboard error..

Please see page 34 of the link provided by Major Payne..

As per Phoenix..

"PhoenixBIOS -- PhoenixBIOS issues a special beep code when a fatal error has occurred. A fatal error implies that an important part of the system has failed and, in general, POST has aborted and the system cannot boot. PhoenixBIOS beep codes are encoded versions of the POST codes described in the user manual. The Phoenix BIOS Post Code and Beep generic user manual lists the beep codes for versions 4.00 to 4.06 of PhoenixBIOS.

AwardBIOS -- The only AwardBIOS beep code indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM (Random Access Memory) problem.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 27 May 2005 - 09:36 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Murray,

The link provided by Major Payne is for Phoenix bios not Phoenix award bios.

If you go here to the phoenix website and under general info you will see award bios so I take it this is phoenix award bios witch is what he is using and it states that 52h is a memory error witch is why his manual lists it also

I was also over at Abit forums and in the AV8 section they list award bios beep codes

This is where I was getting my info from

Please take a look at all this and let me know what you think it is rather confussing
I will be away till monday so I won't be able to respond till then

thanx Rick

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Rick:

I took this right from the site you directed me to..

See the PhoenixBIOS 4.0 User's Manual (on the Phoenix Web site) for descriptions of:
• Setup
• BIOS messages
• POST tasks and beep codes

Check my link!!

So, I checked out the Award BIOS one.. It does show a "52" bios code but NOT a 52h bios code which is what he is getting!!

Gotta love this.. learning myself here !! :tazz:

Murray

SimonF

SimonF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok guys thanks for all your help so far....but I need more !

I assume that I have Pheonix AWARD BIOS. I say assume because in actual fact the screen display I am getting initially is for the graphics card I am using (there is no on board graphics capability for the AV8 motherboard), the display then swithes to an ABIT display instructing me to press DEL or TAB to get into the BIOS set up etc, but at this piont the PC hangs. So, I get nothing displayed about the BIOS. The appropriate chip on the motherboard states Phoenix BIOS and then some numbers I cannot read. Checking the AV8 information on the ABIT website indicates that 2 BIOS' are used, Pheonix award and AMI, so therfore it must be Pheonix AWARD.

Having checked the POST codes for this BIOS, 52 states :

52 Memory Test, Test all memory of memory above 1MB
using Virtual 8086 mode,
page mode and clear the memory

So, my plan of operation, is to try all combinations of memory modules and slots (again!) and then to test the memory is someone else's PC.

Does this sound the best course of action ?

Regards

Simon