Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

World of Warcraft causes computer restart

• Please log in to reply

Bamsta

Bamsta

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone, iv been having this problem for a while now and is just causing me massive frustration.

First off, this has happened so far with only two games, being WoW and NFS Shift (currently uninstalled) and what will happen is I will be playing and at a seemingly random point my computer will just restart, no warning, no error just restart.
Now based of other posts iv read i should turn off random restart so i can get a BSOD, i have done this and oddly the computer does the exact same thing, and will just restart without warning.

One similarity i have noticed, especially on WoW is that it seems to be certain locations that cause the problem, for example i might be in an entire area with no problem, then move to another area and the restart will occur, then from that point onward, whenever i log onto that character within seconds the computer will restart and unfortunately im quickly running out of characters haha

This problem only ever occurs during WoW at the moment and i can surf the internet and play games like Bioshock and Tom Clancy HAWX for hours without a problem.

Here is some information about my computer.
Processor: AMD Athlon ™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
RAM: 1.00GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System
Operating System: Windows 7

All help is much appreciated and if any more details are needed please let me know.

Advertisements

Caljif

Caljif

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Other than some kind of virus (Use your default antivirus software and Spybot S & D to detect and remove these), there are 3 possibilities that I can think of that may be causing this.

Broken Game Files - Try running the Repair.exe in the WoW installation folder (Same place your interface and What the... folders are - Default Vista path is C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft).

Graphics Card issues - If nothing comes up try downloading and running GPU-Z. It may be that your graphics card is overheating.

Memory Issues -Also, 1GB of RAM is a little low for WoW nowadays, if neither of the above are applicable try updating your system with an extra 512MB or 1GB of RAM.

Hope this helps.

Bamsta

Bamsta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey sorry for late reply, been pretty busy with work.

So i ran a full virus scan on my comp which returned nothing.
I ran the WoW repair which unfortunately did not help.
I ran the GPU-Z and results were fine, which i suspected considering that it can often happen within a few minutes of turning on my computer. :)

I now see the only option left is to buy some more memory, however i would preferably like to attempt alternative methods before spending money on something that may not be the issue.

Thanks for your answer Caljif

Does anyone else have any suggestions please