Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dvd Not Working

• Please log in to reply

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK I will let you know the result.

Advertisements

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
That was a total disaster, I had a blue screen of death just after the check disks gray bar, I tried again and blue screen of death at the start of the check disks. Third try it told me to restart as setup had fixed something. Then I lost the choice of repairing windows so I tried the new installation choice but got a blue screen of death again and again. I can no longer boot from the hard drive as I get the message NTLDR is missing
I am writing this on another PC.
This is the message I get from the Blue Screen:***STOP:0x00000023 (0x000E0100, 0xF80B99BC, 0xF80B96BC, 0X807DE4EF)

After all that I let the pc cool down for a few hours and am now back online with it, now I have two XP installations.

What I think I will do now is complete the back ups from this hard drive then reinstall XP after a format and change from FAT to NTFS.
Wow this has been a big journey thanks for all the help.

Edited by starrs, 10 August 2010 - 04:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it sounds like the Fat32 is really causing you problems.
It may just be better to backup your important data and we do a fresh install of XP and get everything back to brand new. The updates will have to be done but at this point i think it is the road with the least amount of obstacles in it.
Let me know when you have everything backed up and we will continue.

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Yeah it sounds like the Fat32 is really causing you problems.
It may just be better to backup your important data and we do a fresh install of XP and get everything back to brand new. The updates will have to be done but at this point i think it is the road with the least amount of obstacles in it.
Let me know when you have everything backed up and we will continue.

I have another problem with that now; this pc was a gift and has some software I use on it, that I dont have the installation disks for, so now I am in two minds about the format. It will take me a couple of days to get all the backups done, so I will think about if I really need that stuff or not.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

After all that I let the pc cool down for a few hours and am now back online with it

You may have other issues. Something cooling down and then working usually indicates a component failure somewhere.
Could be a drive, PSU, main board, etc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Here is the Speedfan Screen capture:

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Here is the Speedfan Screen capture:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try again still no screenshot.

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Weird I saw ity when I uploaded it, I am having problems with my Opera browser since the reinstall of windows, I have just re installed firefox, I will try it with that.

Advertisements

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Weird I saw ity when I uploaded it, I am having problems with my Opera browser since the reinstall of windows, I have just re installed firefox, I will try it with that.

I hope it shows up this time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fanpic2.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK temps and voltages look good.
Lets check the HD itself.
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Weird I saw itFanpic3.jpg when I uploaded it, I am having problems with my Opera browser since the reinstall of windows, I have just re installed firefox, I will try it with that.

I hope it shows up this time.

Thats a bit small I enlarged the pic so here it is again:

starrs

starrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

OK temps and voltages look good.
Lets check the HD itself.

I downloaded the tool but right now we have thunder in the mountains, not only does it play havoc with my web connection, I stand a high risk of a strike if I stay online. So I will try again later, but I will be away from a web connection tomorrow, so I may not be back here untill Friday 13th.
Thank you for all the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and we will wait for your return. Better safe then sorry always. :)