Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

Re-enable Onboard Display Adapter

• Please log in to reply

kimo666

kimo666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I've tried looking everywhere but can't find how to switch on my onboard display adapter.

I'm very much a beginner but I have a Dell 755 Optiplex with Windows XP sp3

I disabled the onboard display adapter and when I go to the device manager it is no longer displayed. I've read I might be able to re-initialize it in the bios but don't really know what that is or how to do it.

I have a Radeon HD 2400 that is currently enabled so I can see the screen ok, it's just no matter what I try I can't re-enable the default onboard adapter

Can anyone help? Thanks

Similar Topics: Re-enable Onboard Display Adapter     x

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts
What happens when you take out the Radeon HD 2400 and use just the onboard video adapter?
Do you get post then?
Normally when you remove the add on video card the onboard is automatically enabled.

kimo666

kimo666

• Pip
  • 6 posts

What happens when you take out the Radeon HD 2400 and use just the onboard video adapter?
Do you get post then?
Normally when you remove the add on video card the onboard is automatically enabled.

When I remove the Radeon HD 2400 the screen goes blank after the windows loading page. I managed to re-enable the Radeon HD 2400 by following some instructions I found which told me which buttons to press to open the device manager and re-enable the display adapter.

I know normally when I disable the Radeon HD 2400 the onboard video adapter kicks in (this happened the first time I did it) However then I stupidly removed the onboard/default video adapter and i can't see it in the device manager any more to re-enable it..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts
Enter BIOS and look in the onboard peripherals area normally.
Find the onboard video and make sure it is enabled.
While using the Radeon the onboard will not show up in Device Manager since it is disabled in the BIOS.
After enabling the onboard then the system should boot with it.

kimo666

kimo666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for that reply. That sounds like it would do the trick only i'm not 100% sure how to enter bios. I've clicked f2 when I switch the computer on and it brings up a menu. I can't find an onboard peripherals area though. Could it be called something else?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts
Could be in advanced area.

kimo666

kimo666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
cheers. I'll reboot and have a look

kimo666

kimo666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
There is a section called onboard devices

Integrated NIC
Integrated Audio
USB Controller
Rear Quad USB
Rear Dual USB
Front USB
PIC Slots
Serial Port #1

Are all switched on and
LPT Port Mode is PS/2

Also there is a section called:

Primary Video
Which can be set as either
Auto

or

Onboard/card

I have that set as auto at the moment.

Does any of this sound like i've got the setup wrong?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts

Primary Video
Which can be set as either
Auto

or

Onboard/card

I have that set as auto at the moment.

Does any of this sound like i've got the setup wrong?

If it has a enabled setting I would set it for that and see if it resolves the issue.
On Auto it should know if you are running onboard or not but it looks like there is a problem.
If this doesn't work then the next option is to set the BIOS for Default settings while booting with the onboard video only.
This should reset the BIOS back to factory settings which should be the onboard enabled by default. Make sure to Save before you exit bios or the settings will not hold.

kimo666

kimo666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks very much for your help. Very much appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts
Did that help resolve the issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On: