Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop cannot detetct ip address

• Please log in to reply

doonboggle

doonboggle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently installed a Brother wireless MFD printer to my home network via a Linksys WRT54G router; and got it to work A-OK. Today I tried my laptop, and it does not now connect to my network ... and has done so with no problems for the last 2 years.

I get a message "UNABLE TO CONNECT TO PREFERRED WIRELESS NETWORK", and advisory to click to see network connections in the area ... which I did.

A list of local networks come up with my network being first and marked 'AUTOMATIC' ... another one (HOME) reflected as 'AUTOMATIC' also. Both are recognized ... with HOME (as I recall) being one I created during the process of the printer set-up. [NOTE: I am not that sharp with this process ... will admit that.]

So with the message of not being able to connect, I presumed I need to set up the router to accept the laptop ip address. I put in CMD and then IPCONFIG ... and get the message for both Ethernet adapter lines (Local area connection and Wireless network connection) of "MEDIA DISCONNECTED".

But no ip address.

As indicated above have used this setup now for the last couple of years with no problem.

Need help PLEASE. Want to be able to transfer files, etc. back and forth.
Thanks

Advertisements