Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sudden CPU drops +Computer lag

• Please log in to reply

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello. I use a IBM thinkpad laptop with windows XP, and for about 3 months, I've noticed something strange going on with my computer.

The link below shows the "normal" status of the computer.

http://img339.images...us/i/picih.png/

However, the 2nd "2.00 ghz" suddenly drops to 798 mhz (sometimes lower) at random intervals, usually 3-5 minutes after I turn on my laptop and happens continuously. It will go back up and then go back down.
I don't think heat is the issue, because around 3 minutes after start up, these spikes occur but the computer doesn't appear to be overheating.

When i watch videos or play games, I notice intense lag and the video either freezes and the game lags very bad.

If anyone could help me with this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I think, it's Intel SpeedStep in action: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I see, so I read it a bit and it says that going to power options and then changing the scheme to home/desk will turn it off.
Should I do that?

It also says, "The SpeedStep settings for power schemes, either built-in or custom, cannot be modified from the control panel's GUI, but can be modified using the POWERCFG.EXE command-line utility"
Is there anything needed to change?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, leave it alone.
It's useful feature, which prolongs your CPU life. It doesn't have to work hard all the time, if a hard work is not needed.

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hmm, interestingly enough, when I set the power scheme to Home/desk, there are no random spikes while watching a video or playing something. I suppose it fixed the problem...might be coincidence...but thank you.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome Posted Image