Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Distorted line going up monitor

• Please log in to reply

ryanstras

ryanstras

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi i've had the same computer and monitor for a long time i've never had any problems with it but now i'm getting a distorted lookin line running up my monitor, its not very noticeable but its starting to get to me during videos or gaming. i have my monitor hooked up with an hdmi cord and there is an dvi to hdmi adapter hooked up to the computer itself, i also have another adapter right next to that one running to my tv. this is the same set up i've been using for a long time so i dont know if my monitor is crapping out or maybe my graphics card. i have 2 gtx 295 cards in my system.

also one other thing is i took out the dvi to hdmi adapter and i got shocked by it so i'm wondering if that could be the cause... i'm really hoping its not the monitor payed 300 dollars for this thing only a year ago.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi ryanstras :)

also one other thing is i took out the dvi to hdmi adapter and i got shocked by it so i'm wondering if that could be the cause

Things I would suggest, check all internal connections inside the case are secure and whilst the case is open clean out any heat trapping dust as this can also build up static electricity, download and run gpu-z to check out the gpu temps http://download.cnet...4-10788513.html

ryanstras

ryanstras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmm i dont seem to be getting the problem ever since the static electricity got discharged or w/e but i still downloaded the program and with a bunch of stuff open like games and videos it never went above 74.0 C with SLI.

both of those dvi to hdmi adapters are actually touching each other could that cause it at all? i have different spots i can plug em into to keep them from touching

Edited by ryanstras, 09 August 2010 - 01:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Yes I would separate the adapters and see how you get on, it is a strange thing static but it can be caused by the least thing (dust=heat) but also do the most damage (fry your system). I would keep an eye on things if the problem re-occurs check your temps and check inside your case for dust.

ryanstras

ryanstras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright tyvm, I'll clean everything out nice today and move them cords... it is extremely hot in this room atm so that probly doesn't help, i want to monitor when it gets back to a normal temperature. I'm just glad to find out that my monitor isn't dieing or anything hehe

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I would suggest after you have carried out your cleaning and checked out
the inside of your case etc that you download and run speedfan, this will
help make sure you are getting the best out of your internal fans http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Hope everything goes well and please let us know how things work out.

ryanstras

ryanstras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
tyvm i dl'd the fan program like u recommended and it seems like the problem is completely gone atm. it seems like its my 2 monster dvi to hdmi adapters causing the problem. i took one out and had just my monitor hooked up and no problem at all but when both of them are in the line comes back. i can plug the second one in a different area so everything will be pretty much the same as before