Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate External HDD Problem

• Please log in to reply

Pazma

Pazma

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi there, a few of days ago I got a second hand PC from my sister as it's better than my old one, still not great but better all the same. As the new one didn't have many USB ports I installed the USB Hub from my old PC, I checked it out and it worked for the mouse.
The new PC came with the internal HDD formatted so I just re-installed Windows XP Pro SP3 and everything was fine. Then I tried to use my Seagate 1tb external HDD, which always worked on the older PC.
First, I tried it in the new hub with the PC turned off and then tried to boot up but Windows only got as far as the loading screen and froze so I tried it in the existing USB ports, same thing happened.
Then I tried to plug it in the hub while the PC was running and it just froze Windows. After that I tried the existing ports with the PC running and I got a bubble saying that it would run better on a USB 2.0 port (old pc) so it was very slow but it eventually installed the software for the HDD.
O.K so here's the thing, it only works on the USB 1.0 ports on the front of the PC, it won't work on the back one's or the hub. As far as I know the back one's are USB 1.0 too, the hub is 2.0. I use the HDD to run a lot of programs so the 1.0 just won't cut it for me and having it plugged in at the front of the PC gets in the way and I'm afraid I'll hit it and break it. I've tried various things in the BIOS but couldn't find any 'USB Legacy Support' which was recommended on the Seagate website but I changed the boot sequence and updated the hubs firmware but to no avail.

I've done all I can to the best of my knowledge so I'm really hoping someone here can help. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
FWIW ...

PCI expansion cards with two USB 2.0 ports start at $7.99 with free shipping ... with four ports, $9.99 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.co...ICE&PageSize=20

Pazma

Pazma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

FWIW ...

PCI expansion cards with two USB 2.0 ports start at $7.99 with free shipping ... with four ports, $9.99 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.co...ICE&PageSize=20

I have one installed, it came from my old PC and it's 2.0 and it's working with other devices, it's just the External HDD that it doesn't work with. I think it might be a Windows problem, I'm not too sure.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I'd try uninstalling the "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller" in Device Manager. When you reboot, Windows will 'discover' the 'new hardware' and reinstall the driver(s).

Pazma

Pazma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

I'd try uninstalling the "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller" in Device Manager. When you reboot, Windows will 'discover' the 'new hardware' and reinstall the driver(s).

Just before I read your message I booted up the pc with the Host Controller disconnected and then powered it down. I reinstalled the Controller in a different PCI slot and booted up again and this time it works for my External HDD too. I guess your way was easier but I'm used to doing things the hard way. lol. Thanks for your help.

Topic closed! :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You probably had a interrupt conflict causing the issue since you resolved it by going to another slot.

Pazma

Pazma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

You probably had a interrupt conflict causing the issue since you resolved it by going to another slot.

It froze up since then, twice while I was watching a video so I'm updating all the drivers I can now, I just have to find them first :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The new PC came with the internal HDD formatted so I just re-installed Windows XP Pro SP3 and everything was fine

Did you install the main board drivers after you did this?

Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Also, what is the make and model of the computer? Dell, HP, Compaq, home built, etc

Pazma

Pazma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

The new PC came with the internal HDD formatted so I just re-installed Windows XP Pro SP3 and everything was fine

Did you install the main board drivers after you did this?

Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Also, what is the make and model of the computer? Dell, HP, Compaq, home built, etc

Yeah, I installed the main board drivers after installing Windows and all the drivers are fine. I updated the VIA drivers and the Nvidia driver too. Everything looks fine in Device Manager. The only problem I have now, so far as I can see, is that the PC freezes when I watch video files, not straight away either so I'm going to check to see if all the fans are running and maybe try a different video card.

These pics might help you figure it out:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I just took a look at the fans and there's no problem there, this machine is very well ventilated, there's a fan inside and on on the side hatch that comes off when you open it up. So I don't think it's a cooling problem but I could be wrong.

I also tried the video card from my old machine which is actually a better one but it wouldn't fit in this PC, it's a slightly different shape.

Edited by Pazma, 10 August 2010 - 11:51 AM.

Pazma

Pazma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
UPDATE:

It froze again and again and again, the first time I was playing Pool Master on Facebook (cpu was maxed) and then twice in quick succession while playing PokerStars (cpu at minimum). After the second freeze up on PokerStars it wouldn't boot into Windows and I just got as far as the loading screen :)

So logically that means that I have absolutely no freakin idea of what's making this piece of crap freeze up. I have very little patience for such matters and this machine is close to flying out a window. :)