Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost file

• Please log in to reply

cemh

cemh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help!

In preparing to move files to a new computer I moved a folder containing all the information about a society of which I am the Secretary onto an external hard disc. I subsequently copied this file onto another external hard disc and then onto the new computer. Everything seems to have moved successfully except the Excel file which contains my whole Membership list! This has reverted to the original file which I inherited in 2006. Another Excel file which I created in 2006 has moved successfully. I have tried searching on both my old computer and my new computer and the external discs but the latter only contain the 2006 file whilst the original computer does not contain the file at all as I moved the whole folder! Is there any chance I can locate this missing data? I can probably reconstruct most of the information from the related file and the backup copy I created (unfortunately this was in April before all the Membership renewals came in!). I was using the file the week before I moved it and it seemed to be working perfectly.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
http://www.recuva.com

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Recuva is very good, but you could also check the Recycle Bin just in case. Also, you can do a complete search of your computer for all Excel files using the wildcard, *.xml, or whatever other extension you may need to look for.

cemh

cemh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

http://www.recuva.com

Thanks very much. Found the file on the hard disc I Had first moved the folder to. This has saved me lots of effort. Will make sure I back up more frequently from now on!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
A simple backup may help delay gray hair. :)