Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system.ini

• Please log in to reply

maryjs1

maryjs1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My pc is having problems booting windows on and off.
I get this screen when it starts:

cannot find a device file needed to run windows or a windows application.

the windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file, but the device no longer exists.

if you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program

if you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

C:\Progra~1\Carbon~1ccw32.vxd

then i press enter and windows will start after about 30 seconds.

thanks,
mary

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi maryjs1 and welcome to Geeks To Go

The file you appear to be missing is a Compaq Video Card Driver. You can find a link to download the file as well as very simple directions to fix this problem Here. The link to download the file takes you to DriverGuide.com and you will need to sign up for a free account before you can access the file. No need to worry about spam or other problems there they are legit, I've download several missing drivers there before. I would tho advise you to scan the file for viruses before you use it. i always do that because you never know!!

NOTE: I have assumed by C:\Progra~1\Carbon~1ccw32.vxd you meant C:\Progra~1\Carbon~1\ccw32.vxd. If that's not the case tell us in your next post.