Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP will not start up on my computer

• Please log in to reply

skitzer

skitzer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer was running really slow and kept freezing and I was going to do a complete diagnostic check and tune up from the ask nerds website but couldn’t do the first step that was to run a windows update. When I went to the windows update to run a scan for updates I kept getting a message saying there was a error and I couldn't get updates. I was attempting to fix that and at some point I got the message that some files had been changed and were needed to run windows correctly. After that message every time I went to do something I kept getting popup-saying file unable to open as it was missing a .DLL file. The missing DLL would be different for whatever the program windows was attempting to use but the missing DLL was usually in the registry. I ran every registry repair program that I could and they always came up with errors but none of them solved the problems I was having. I tried going into the sys32 file and registering the DLL’s but kept getting a library load error. In addition I could not print from within a website or go to any links within a website. I tried system restore to numerous dates but the end result was always the same that my computer could not be restored to that date, no changes have been made. I finally decided to try a windows repair, but upon finishing that I could not open up windows normally only in safe mode. I tried doing everything I could think about in safe mode but nothing worked. I made a copy of spotmau’s Boot Care CD and put that in and used the windows recovery section:
Option I: Missed File Recovery
Option II: MBR Recovery/Repair
Option III: Registry Recovery

After trying the above three options when I try to start windows a black screen comes up and I get a message saying that Windows could not start because of an error in the software.Please report this problem as:load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem

I really need help to solve this as I have too much data that I can’t lose by having to do a clean install of windows. Thanks in advance

Edited by skitzer, 09 August 2010 - 04:27 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Before anyone can help we need to know
WHAT exactly have you run on this computer by way of so called fixes. - registry cleaners etc.
What make if branded is the computer - make and model and service tag number if appropriate
Were there any BSOD`s and if do what was the stop code and error message.
IT IS TOO LATE NOW - but for your future knowledge =- NEVER ON ANY ACCOUNT RUN ANY registry cleaner, booster or go faster program.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode and have access to your files?
Do you have a XP installation disk that came with your system?

Is this a brand name system and if so what is the make and model?

skitzer

skitzer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Can you boot into Safe Mode and have access to your files?
Do you have a XP installation disk that came with your system?

Is this a brand name system and if so what is the make and model?

My computer is an Accer Asprie T180 that orginally had windows vista installed on it with .5 gb on ram and I uninstalled that and put on windows xp professional 64 bit and up the ram to 4gb.

No I can no longer boot into safe mode. not since I used the Spotmau BootCare CD

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So do you have the XP installation DVD

If so enter Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. Instructions here

http://pcsupport.abo.../rconsole_6.htm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 August 2010 - 05:08 PM.

skitzer

skitzer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Before anyone can help we need to know
WHAT exactly have you run on this computer by way of so called fixes. - registry cleaners etc.
What make if branded is the computer - make and model and service tag number if appropriate
Were there any BSOD`s and if do what was the stop code and error message.
IT IS TOO LATE NOW - but for your future knowledge =- NEVER ON ANY ACCOUNT RUN ANY registry cleaner, booster or go faster program.

Registry Fixes

Uniblule Registry Booster/SpeedUpMyPC/SpyEraser
Auslogics Boost Speed
Error Expert
Advanced System Care
Spotmau BootCare CD

My computer is an Accer Asprie T180 that orginally had windows vista installed on it with .5 gb ram and I uninstalled that and put on windows xp professional 64 bit and upped the ram to 4gb.

I do not know what you mean by BSOD's

skitzer

skitzer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes I have the xp dvd and I will what you have recomended thank you I will let you know results

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The essence of that post has gone now and has been replied to after Rshaffer61`s post and your reply.
Please reply to my last post. (You have now, we will await your results)
There is no need to quote each time you reply, unless you feel it necessary to highlight something.
After you have finished this I suggest you google uniblue registry booster - problems, You will I can assure you never use it again. I am not suggesting it is worse than any other - none of them are required, most are useless and some are just downright dangerous to the health of your computer. The registry contains many thousands of entries. These programs, generally far from improving the situation by deleting what they perceive as unrequired entries, actaully make matters worse. AT BEST they may improve the load speed of windows by a fraction of a second. At worse they fragment the registry and delete required entries.

Further to the above, when you have time and this matter is sorted have a read of this
http://www.bleepingc...opic121827.html
OR just search this site - Geeks and you will see the problems caused by these programs

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 August 2010 - 05:45 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Uniblue Registry Booster/SpeedUpMyPC/SpyEraser
Auslogics Boost Speed
Error Expert
Advanced System Care

Please take my advice, if you get the system working - delete them, do not ever install them again.

skitzer

skitzer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes I have the xp dvd and I will what you have recomended thank you I will let you know results

I entered the Recovery Console and ran chkdsk /r following the instructions as above it seemed to take forever but completed.
I rebooted my computer and got the same message windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: load needed DLLs for kernel.

skitzer

skitzer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
any other suggestions for me to try to fix this problem.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you know you have system restore points on the computer TRY this FIRST.

* When you get to the recovery console Type

CD \

* Press Enter
* Type

cd system~1\_resto~1

* Press Enter
* Type

dir

* Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list

* Type

cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list}

Note: Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
* Press Enter
* Type

cd snapshot

* Press Enter
* Type

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

* Press Enter
* Type

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

* Press Enter
* Type

Exit

* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type

CD \

* Press Enter
* Type

cd windows\system32\config

* Press Enter
* Type

ren system system.bak

* Press Enter
* Type

Exit

* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning

IF THAT DOES NOT WORK think we are down to a repair install. If the MBR was corrupt, you mentioned running MBR fix then we could try this, but my guess is that you have many other errors as well.

Before you try the repair install, although it may come to that. I would go back to the recovery console and run these commands.
Press enter after each command and then exit and see if XP will then load.

# When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt type:
FixMbr

# Press Enter
# When asked to do so press Y to accept the command SEE NOW IF WINDOWS WILL START NORMALLY by typing exit and rebooting the machine. NOTE as below to make sure you are also booting from the HDD. If Windows will not start. Re enter the Recovery Console and.
# Then Type:
Fixboot

# Press Enter
# When asked to do so press Y to accept the command
# Then Type:
Exit

# Press Enter
# The computer will restart. Remember to either remove the Windows XP CD or not press "any key" to boot from the CD
CAUTION ONLY USE THESE COMMANDS IF YOU HAVE THE NORMAL ONE HARD DISC DRIVE WITH THE ONE WINDOWS INSTALLATION. IF the computer is different spec with a dual boot (you have not said it is) OR windows is not on C drive then do NOT use this.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT to The Skeptic and others for the System restore via the RC

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 August 2010 - 02:56 PM.