Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 4700 won't start

• Please log in to reply

Kacz

Kacz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell 4700 running XP and when I push the start button, sometimes it will start and sometimes not. I have changed the power supply, but no help. Sometimes it will start after it has been off for a while. Other times it won't. I checked all cables and wiring plugs i.e. reseated them etc.
Any ideas?
Sinserely,
Kacz

Advertisements

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
What screen(s) do you get when it fails? Does it have an error msg? More details please.
Open My Computer, right click c drive, click properties. Open tools tab, and do the error checking thing with the fix option(s) ticked.
Also, if you know your brand name of the hard drive, look at the Website, -say Western Digital- they as well as Seagate have a online program you can either download or run a drive fitness test.
If it fails, get a new hard drive.
You also could have some malware, have you done any scans with Malwarebytes or other such programs, and do you have a up to date antivirus program (of course scan with it too).

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Bad power switch? When you press it does the computer act like it's getting power, (fan[s] spin, LEDs come on, etc.), or, does it do nothing at all? If nothing at all, it may simply be a flaky failing power switch, (dirty/corroded contacts).