Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programming the Office 2003 API

• Please log in to reply

dongfang

dongfang

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

[if someone knows a better place to ask, please redirect me!]

I have some questions about programming against MS Office's add-in API. More specifically, I want to have something act as a listener on all edits in a document, and highlight // do other things with certain words and phrases. I know Smart Tags can do that, but I need functionality beyond what they can offer.

Looking at products like:

View As Web Page

http://www.invisionr....com/xpress.htm
"...
Based on more than three years of research and development and the rigorous application of the latest generation of Microsoft .NET development tools, Xpress Author resides in Word as a C# add-in that appears as a seamless part of the Word environment. Xpress Author monitors every keystroke, mouse click, and menu choice - invisibly tracking and mapping complex XML Schemas and rules to the content that is being developed in the Word user interface. Xpress Author delivers high-end XML authoring in Word through a host of features, including:
..."

, obviously, it's possible (and in less than three years' time, hopefully :tazz: ). I just can't find the right place to hook on my event handlers, or whatever I should use.

I have got an IDTExtensibility2 implementation to work OK -- that seems to be the way to attach home made code to Office. But again, which object can send me fine-grained events telling me about things happening in a document, and where do I get access to them?

Søren

Advertisements