Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Permission issue on ZIP file compressed in XP Mode

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
On my host system, I am using Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. It is fully updated. I have PowerArchiver 2010 Free (v11.63.12) installed. I also have the latest version of PACL (v6.01) installed (PACL is the PowerArchiver Command Line program).

So that I can still use some old 16-bit DOS programs, I have XP Mode installed. On it, I have PACL v6.01 installed as well (thought I DON'T have the windows program [PowerArchiver 2010] installed on it).

I also have the C drive of XP Mode mapped to the Z drive of my host machine, allowing me to access files from the XP Mode machine from a drive letter on my host machine.

Now for the problem--anytime I compress a file in XP Mode using PACL, I am not able to access it from the Host machine. Two examples: (1) if I open up the XP Mode drive in an explorer window of the host machine and double click on the newly created ZIP file, it will open PowerArchiver 2010, but the contents will be blank, (2) if I attempt to attach the newly created ZIP file to an email (in Thunderbird), I get a message saying, "You don't have permission to open this file."

I should point out that this seems to happen ONLY to files created with PACL (and only those created in XP Mode). I used to use PKZIP for DOS v2.50 to compress files from the command line. I gave it a try in XP Mode, and it allows me to do all of the above to which PACL created files are giving me issues. I also have used PACL on the host machine, and, again, no issues.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
*****FIXED******

My XP Mode is not joined to a domain, thus "Simple File Sharing" was enabled by default. As a result, I didn't have a Security tab when looking at the properties for the shared drive.

So I disabled "Simple File Sharing," went to the Security tab for the shared drive, and changed the needed permissions. And it worked.