Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a Dell printer

• Please log in to reply

wdcwdc

wdcwdc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Help please on installing a Dell 720 printer onto a Toshiba laptop with XP .

How do I add this printer to my Toshiba? I plugged the printer into a USB port on the Toshiba. What more do I have to do? The printer was working fine on a desktop and could print WORD documents (*.doc).

Right now, when I goto CP\Printers I see Microsoft Document Image Writer and Microsoft xxx Document Writer (presumably printers that had been installed earlier) but no longer connected. Why do they show up?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Hi wdcwdc, disconnect the usb cable from the laptop and then download and
install the drivers to the laptop, only attach the usb cable when prompted
to by the software, below is the link to your drivers;
http://support.dell....1&fileid=106108

Right now, when I goto CP\Printers I see Microsoft Document Image Writer and Microsoft xxx Document Writer

Do not delete these as they are not printers.

wdcwdc

wdcwdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
PhillipPower2: Thank you for your help. I am afraid I still need more.

I went to the Dell site you listed and clicked Download. DL seemed to go fine and I saw
DellDriverDownloadManager.application appear in a listing of my DLs.

I double clicked that entry. Got a very brief screen saying something like wait a moment for a verification check. Then a screen appeared saying "There`are no files to download. Go back to (the original Dell site).

What am I doing wrong here?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

I double clicked that entry. Got a very brief screen saying something like wait a moment for a verification check. Then a screen appeared saying "There`are no files to download. Go back to (the original Dell site).

Something has obviously gone wrong with the download, have you checked to see if any zip files were downloaded?
If you did not have a zip file downloaded delete what did download, and download the drivers from the link below.
http://download.cnet...6_4-108693.html
Follow the same procedure as before and when you have installed the drivers only attach the usb cable when prompted
to do so, after installation be sure to go into Control Panel>Printers and make sure the printer is set as default.

wdcwdc

wdcwdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Something has obviously gone wrong with the download, have you checked to see if any zip files were downloaded?
If you did not have a zip file downloaded delete what did download, and download the drivers from the link below.
http://download.cnet...6_4-108693.html
Follow the same procedure as before and when you have installed the drivers only attach the usb cable when prompted
to do so, after installation be sure to go into Control Panel>Printers and make sure the printer is set as default.

PP2:
A check shows no ZIp files were downloaded.
I see that the driver I want is shown as 9MB. But the file that I seem to be downloadinng --- dellDriverDownloadManager.applications -- is shown as 9.3KB. Obviously I am downloading just a piece of the file. But what am I doing wrong?? Does dellDriverDownloadManager.applications sound like the file I really want? ???

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts

I see that the driver I want is shown as 9MB. But the file that I seem to be downloadinng --- dellDriverDownloadManager.applications -- is shown as 9.3KB

Which download is it you are referring to the 1st or the 2nd one I suggested from CNET which shows me 9.44MB

Does dellDriverDownloadManager.applications sound like the file I really want? ???

Not being a Dell owner I have never used this facility and as it does not seem to have worked for
you I would suggest if you try again that you use the other option.

wdcwdc

wdcwdc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
PP2: I started over; got a different screen from before (!?); followed instructions and my printer is now installed.
A`thousand thanks. wdc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
Congratulations wdcwdc on resolving your printer issue :)
Thank you for using GTG, for allowing me to assist you and for sharing the solution with others :)