Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can i use this ram?

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
This is on my bro's comp

Posted Image

I've an additional pc2700 ddr 333 256 kingston ram, any clue if he can use it on his comp? No chance at all? I reckon hes using sd ram, 133 thus he cant use my ram, at all? =/

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes he most likely can use it as long as he installes it with the pc 2100, its just that it will slow down to 2100 speed. If installed by itself a bios ajustment would be needed
you can install it and try it won't hurt anything because they are both ddr sdram, if the computer won't boot then take it back out. Sometimes mixing speed and manufactuer can cause problems but most of the time it will work.

Rick

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ok, u meant i can actually try using the ram, and unless it doesnt boot to desktop, it should work fine regardless of their difference in pc and pipeline? Mine being 333 and his being 133.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes give it a try

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i tried, it shows 480 mb . Is that normal? Im curious, how did 2 256 rams turn out to be 480 mb? what happened to the rest of the rams?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If he has onboard video this could account for the missing ram because onboard uses part of the systems main ram

Rick

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just use your System Info from Control Panel to find out what's what or download Everest HE which will tell you everything you want to know about your system and gives you detailed info on Memory alone.

Ron

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i read the 480mb of ram off system info. Could the ram be faulty?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

i read the 480mb of ram off system info. Could the ram be faulty?

View Post

If you have 512Mb of RAM installed and reading 480 Mb of RAM, then it means that your system is recognizing the install of both 256Mb sticks. 32 Mb are being reserved for other things.

If you select Memory in Everest, it will break all this down for you. Reading less RAM is normal as some is always set aside for other functions. Think this has been stated once before by doby. It is not something to worry about. Possibly check your BIOS settings to see if you have RAM set for other than what you want or need.

Ron

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oic ok. I was wondering since im using 512 +512, and my system info shows 1gb so i was worried about a fault ram since i just bought a new ram. Guess im just paranoid. Thx =)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would certainly say you had a problem if both sticks are 512Mb and it reads incorrectly at bootup during RAM test or your system reports a vast difference like 480 Mb of RAM when you should have more than that with 1 Gb of RAM installed.

There's always going to be a certain percentage less than full amount installed that you actually have available.

Ron

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oic, ok ty =)