Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lines on computer screen

• Please log in to reply

mindydee113

mindydee113

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
something weird is going on with my laptop, which is a Compaq Presario R3000. yesterday, all of a sudden, on start-up....i got these weird vertical lines on the screen. i tried rebooting a couple of times but still got the same thing. however, the lines would change. sometimes they would be thick and wide, other times long and skinny and take up the whole screen. sometimes they were just black and white and other times there would be bits of red or blue streaming threw them. at one point i got this error message.....

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using original cd-rom. select r at first screen to start repair.

i got out the original cd-rom and put it in laptop. i dont really know how to do a repair, so i found this page on the internet.....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

it didn't do me much good as it is kind of long and complicated and i tried to type in the initial commands but the computer would not recognize them?

i hated to have to do this, but i did a clean install next. after the new installation, the screen came up fine, with no lines. i go to turn on the computer the very next day and they are back! i can reboot once or twice and manage to get the screen to come up without the lines but i sure would like to figure out what they are and how to get rid of them. i read someplace that it might have something to do with my video care needing a replacement? don't know if that is right and if it is where would i even find one for my brand of computer? appreciate any help i can get. you guys have always been lifesavers in the past! i love geeks to go!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts

i read someplace that it might have something to do with my video care needing a replacement? don't know if that is right and if it is where would i even find one for my brand of computer?

I read thru the manual for this laptop and did NOT see where you could replace the video with a card. I think the only way to fix the problem is to replace the mainboard in the laptop. The cost for this would almost equal a new laptop so i think you should entertain the idea of replacing the laptop with a new one. Perhaps a local computer shop could do the work but i'm still afraid the cost would not be worth it.

SRX660

mindydee113

mindydee113

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
by mainboard, do you mean motherboard?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts